Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vr68

How many potato varieties?

vr68
15 years ago

I'm new to the forum. You all are an inspiring lot! I hope to have this year's plan worked out shortly, and appreciate the chance to learn from your wisdom (& failings?).

I will be trying potatoes for the first time this year. I've read all about the bin debates, etc., but haven't found an answer to my question: As I look around at various varieties and the seed sets that are available, the seed sets seem to come in 2 or 2.5 pound increments. How many "seeds" does that amount to? Do you folks mix & match varieties or is it best to stick to a single variety?

I am planning on following snibb's approach & dedicating a 4x2 bed with 4-5 "seeds" in each square, as that kind of yield seems quite sufficient - certainly to start. (Snibb, let me know if I got it wrong.)

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks,

vr

Comments (7)

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Hehe, I am not Snibb, but when I got 1 pound, I got six or so potatoes, most could not be cut into more seed potatoes.

As for varieties, unless you plan on trenching or hilling, go with an early variety. They set fruit once in 6 to 10 inches of soil. Otherwise, go a mid to late season variety.

Oh, and I wouldn't plant any more than 4 per SF.

Good luck and welcome!

P.S. I think Snibb hangs out on the Veggie forum, if I recall correctly.

• jleiwig
    15 years ago

Everything I've read says the smaller the seed potato, the more productive the results will be. It has also been recommended not to cut seed potatoes as it sometimes can cause problems.

I'm going to try an early variety in a tub and use straw on top so there is no digging through the dirt. I've read quite a few accounts that this method will produce quite productively.

I'm also going to try and grow sweet potatoes in a tub filled with sand with a heating cable, maybe that way I'll get sweet potatoes before the first frost. I just need to figure out when to start making slips.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

jleiwig, I'm not a potato grower, nor do I play one on TV, but I have always purchased seed potatoes with several eyes, and cut mine into two or more pieces (just keep at least two eyes on each chunk), then let them lay on the windowsill for a few days to dry out the cut edges. I have then planted them on 12" centers, and hilled them as they grew. I have grown some lovely potatoes.

Just saying.

In other words, probably however you plant them, you will have potatoes (although I am anti-high rise bins).

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• jleiwig
    15 years ago

Posted by anniesgranny 6b (My Page) on Tue, Jan 27, 09 at 12:00

jleiwig, I'm not a potato grower, nor do I play one on TV, but I have always purchased seed potatoes with several eyes, and cut mine into two or more pieces (just keep at least two eyes on each chunk), then let them lay on the windowsill for a few days to dry out the cut edges. I have then planted them on 12" centers, and hilled them as they grew. I have grown some lovely potatoes.
    Just saying.

In other words, probably however you plant them, you will have potatoes (although I am anti-high rise bins).

Granny

I have no doubt that you've been successful. I was just stating what I have determined after researching it thoroughly is "best-practice" if you will. As Sinfonian will tell you, there are 100 ways to grow tomatoes, and I'm sure there are just as many if not more for potatoes. I hope that whatever method one chooses that they are successful!

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

I'm no potato grower either, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. What? Hey! That was funny....heh.

Ok.....I planted some seed potatoes over the weekend, placed directly in the center of each square. I just hope they don't turn out like the last ones did....

EG

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Yeah, there are just as many ways to grow anything. My bins, for example, are simply the culmination of the same search being done here... The best way for me to grow potatoes. Honestly, I never thought thousands would even care how I grew them, met alone try the method themselves. Hehe.

I must say though, when I cut my next seed potato, I will leave it on the window sill as Granny suggests. I am all for best practices all around. However, where you grow them isn't a best practice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

• conniem56
    15 years ago

I had pretty good luck with potatoes last year - planted Yukon Golds. I think it was a 5 lb pack from Walmart - my yield was about 50-60 lbs. I was too lazy to cut them up before planting. I did set them in a sunny room and let them get all green and sprouty before I put them in the ground. I mounded, but I didn't build high-rise bins.

I'm planning on growing Yukon Golds and some sort of red potato this year. Yummy! :)
    Connie

Here is a link that might be useful: My new garden blog