Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shihni

Only 6 inches deep?

shihni
12 years ago

I admit - I haven't read the entire book yet. Mostly I used internet resources to size the beds - and just now reading the book that arrived earlier today. I have, however, already designed the beds and calculated/priced the materials required. I'm rather excited about doubling my growing space vs jumbo pots.

But now I'm reading that Mel recommends only 6 inches of soil. Is this even advisable? My planters will be located on a tiny balcony and have bottoms - I'm in an apartment.

I had originally planned to use two 2'x3' beds for most of my crops plus a dedicated 2'x2' strawberry bed that'll hopefully last for a couple years. Much more than that and I'd run out of space.

One of the planters will be filled with 2 tomatoes (Il San Marzano vines), 2 bell peppers (a compact variety, can't recall what seed packet I ordered), an eggplant (Ping Tung Long) and a basil plant or two. Is a six inch depth really adequate? I had planned on building the two 2x3s 14" tall (using four 2by4s) - I had thought the roots would need that space - especially the tomatoes. The strawberry box would be 10.5" (three 2by4s) tall as I hear they have a shallow root system.

Should I be adjusting my plans for shorter boxes, even though there isn't any dirt 'underneath'? Your opinion would be much appreciated!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor