Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floodthelast

New plan for sfg

floodthelast
14 years ago

Well it's in progress anyway. I really need to get a list together of the seeds I actually have.

Comments (11)

• nycynthias
    14 years ago

Wow, looks great! I am working on mine right now too :)

• jengc
    14 years ago

Looks awesome from here! I just can't read the names too good. I do wish I had that much area. I have an acre of land, it is just mostly sloped!

• heather38
    14 years ago

WoW! that is a lot of Thyme, I like it but, I would be hard pressed to use up my whole plant, in a year even with drying, is their a ultimate plan for it all? I would love to know, I am really nosy :-)

• floodthelast
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jengc, if you click the pic it gets a lot bigger. Hope that helps.
    Heather, the truth is I used thyme as a ground cover in my sfg last year and in the fall when I cleared it out I moved all the thyme to make a border for my herb garden which was according to plan. :)
    I have 1/4 acre much of it sloped an almost all of it shaded by a huge maple. My largest bed and the side bed are all behind my garage where the light from the neighbors yard sneaks in. I also use buckets.
    The bigger plots are for veggies mostly with some companion flowers and herbs. The little pots are for invasive herbs that I just want to place around my bigger bed for their companion qualities. The buckets are for things I don't have much space for like squash and pumpkins.
    The little herb garden is actually either planted or direct sown and I'm just waiting to see how it turns out this year.
    In my bigger one I need to rotate my crops so to speak so it needs more figureing out.
    The hanging baskets are for sneaking more sun loving annual flowers in my back yard.
    Did that cover it all?

• ezzirah011
    14 years ago

I redesigned mine according to what someone told me at a seed store about not being able to fit bush variety cucumber and beans into the 1' squares. So my third 4x4 bed I divided it into only 4 squares for the larger plants and I will see how that goes this year. Redesign it next year if I didn't need that much space.

• greentouch
    14 years ago

Floodthelast,
    What program did you use to make your plan?

My situation is different -- we have all full south sun and it is flat. That heat presents different problems. The plan is to use drip irrigation in 4 beds that will be 3'x8' -- with room left to add more beds, but this will be the first year of sfg. The beds will be built so row covers can easily be put on, but most of that will be for sun protection on lettuce if it gets hot too soon.

• floodthelast
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I used paint.net it's a free pic editing service. It just so happens they had a grid pattern and I put it to work. :)
    I can imagine the heat is trouble. Maybe if you put your trellis on one side of the garden it can shade the rest?
    I put in a rainbarrel the same time I did this bed so I use that a lot as well as the hose come later in the summer. I hear growing corn is useful as a shade maker. I also planted cosmos in my garden and they got six feet high.

• floodthelast
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well here's my second try at getting my chart in order. I got my bean seeds in the mail this week and checked the sfgardening book out of the library to do more research. :)

• floodthelast
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well here it is girls and boys. My somewhat final version. :)

• nycynthias
    14 years ago

Looks great! Your trellis is down the center of your main SFG?

• floodthelast
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I put my toms in every other square and a companion flower in the spaces in between to give them a little extra room. I have the lettuce on the shady side though the plants seemed to do find on both sides of the trellis regardless.
    Let me find a pic from last year.
    {{gwi:434802}}

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm