Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwilliam10

New Winter Box

kwilliam10
13 years ago

Hi all,

I wanted to share my latest project. I've been meaning (since Fall) to build a nice Winter Box, for the back deck. I FINALLY got around to it. This is sort of a SFG/Winter Box posting.

First, I had to build the box:

{{gwi:1261438}}

{{gwi:1261440}}

The box does not have a bottom, So I stapled weed block liner, to the inside. Then I put in about an inch of pebble stone. Next, I stapled in a chicken wire layer, so I would have something to attach the heating wire to:

{{gwi:1261442}}

{{gwi:1261444}}

I followed up with about 9 inches of Mel's Mix. This worked out perfectly, because I needed to trade out the soil from my potato towers. So the towers will get the new soil.

{{gwi:1261446}}

Then the glass tops (note the rubber gasket all around the frame.) I used the rubber gasket for garage doors (from Home Depot.):

{{gwi:1261449}}

{{gwi:1261451}}

I wish I had done this earlier in the Winter. But, I was too busy. I wound up planting two rows. The back row, all but the back/right square, is five different types of lettuce. Front left section is spinach. Front right is carrot.

Hope this all works out. Right now is midnight (Feb 27th), in Maryland. Granted, we are having a bit of a warmspell right now...but the surface temp, inside the box, is about 48 degrees. This temp appears to be holding steady.

I don't know what I will do with the far left section of the box. The overall dimensions are 8' x 2'. The right section is 6' x 2'. The angle of the glass is about 12 degrees. The left section will probably be flowers, in the Spring...but not sure. I don't have glass for that section...so I have to wait for the full Spring temps.

Can anyone think of anything I've left out? Any recommendations?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH