Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bitterrooter_gw

seed storage

bitterrooter
14 years ago

have seeds left over from last year. kept them in a plastic bag in refrigerator at 35 degrees. are they still good this year? thx

Comments (6)

• kr222
    14 years ago

Most likely. That's the way I do it, and I have great germination results year to year. As long as the seeds were dry and remain dry, they will most likely germinate well. I've had some seeds for over 5 years that still germinate well. I'm starting around 100 seeds this season. I would say at least half of them are seeds from previous years.

If you have any concerns you can place a few seeds of each variety in a moist paper towel. Place the towel in a plasic bag. Seal it. Check it every so often to see how many seeds germinate. If germination appears to be low, buy new seed for this season or just sow more seeds in each spot.

Good luck! It sounds like your seed was well taken care of. I bet it will be fine.

Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim's Garden

• momma_s
    14 years ago

Your seeds are probably still good. I was able to germinate seeds that were 2yrs old, that weren't stored in any special way... Try the germination test Kim mentioned. It's cool to see the seeds sprout this way, and you can sow them too.

I've read in a few different places that seeds shouldn't be stored in plastic for long periods. They are living, and need oxygen--even though a minuscule amount, and plastic prevents oxygen from reaching them. Also, if the seeds have any moisture when placed in a plastic bag, they can mold or spoil since the moisture can't escape. I am in NO way an expert, that's just what I've read...

I store my seeds in the packets they come in (so I know what they are and what to do with them), and place in an old recipe box with silica packs (wicks moisture), and store in the fridge. I change the silica packs out as I get new ones.

• jengc
    14 years ago

I know when I ordered my seeds for the first time, they offered to send them in vacuum sealed plastic bags for an additional fee. They said the seeds will last longer in them. I went out and bought a very cheep vacuum bags with a vacuum included (found it at Walmart). I placed the seeds in the original package (to make sure I knew what they were) and put them in the plastic bag and vacuumed out the additional air. I could have sworn I read this somewhere but I also read where they are still living organisms and need some air. I guess I will see this year LOL I kept them in the basement which is cool and damp (which doesnt matter since they were in sealed plastic bags). Not like a fridge, but still cool.

• bsntech
    14 years ago

Yes, the fridge method works very well. However, some seeds simply will not last for very long. Lettuce and onion seed is an example of this. You may get two or three seasons from Lettuce seed - although the germination in the third year will be pretty poor. Onion seed is also the same way - getting two seasons would be pushing it.

I purchased lettuce seed last year - probably very close to this time. It had very good germination within a few months of using the seed. The seed came in a standard seed packet - but then there was a small aluminum foil pouch inside the seed packet.

With my lettuce under lights experiment that I started in late December, germination of those same seeds - less than a year later - had dropped to about 60%.

So, seeds can stay a long time as long as they are kept cold and dry (use some of those gel packets that you get in some electronics that dry up the humidity). But, it also depends upon the kind of seed that you are keeping.

Here is a link that might be useful: BsnTech Gardening Blog

• skipp
    14 years ago

I have many, many of the small plastic film cannisters and the air-tight lids. Do you think those will work for storage??

• engineeredgarden
    14 years ago

skipp - they most certainly will. I use electrical tape containers for mine.

EG

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area