Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
first time with sfg... need some guaranteed success

Posted by kmharrell 6B (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 8:16

I have a roof terrace and raise a few things every year (a lot of tomatos, strawberries, etc). All in containers. It is hot (there is some cover for plants) and I have a watering system. However, I am trying to get my 11 year old more involved. I need a few things that will get her more excited. So we have two 3'x3' containers, ordered the SFG book, out of the following, what would be the most likely to really produce: watermelon (or other melons), strawberries, red pepper and carrots. Any other things that would do really well (and we can't mess up?)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: first time with sfg... need some guaranteed success

Watermelon can be a little difficult. Carrots are pretty easy to grow, as are strawberries, as long as they don't get dried out. Bok choy grows fast in the spring, but doesn't do well in the heat of summer. Broccoli is also good for spring. Green beans are super easy and produce a lot if you get the plain green(Kentucky wonder) type. I tried the colored ones, but they didn't produce many beans.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Square Foot Garden

o

snow peas for early spring, really prolific and hard to mess up and you can plant them pretty densley-they won't last all summer but when its time to pull them there will be plenty of time to plant another crop of something else, preferably seedlings started indoors.

o

Lettuces are easy to grow, come in many shapes and colors, grow very well in a container and you can start picking small leaves in just 3-4 weeks. Cucumbers and green beans are fairly easy to grow if you have a frame for them to grow up.

I think that the most important part is that your 11 year old like eating what ever they grow, if they wont go near a radish it will not matter that it is very easy to grow.

Good Gardening, Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here