Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
N-S OR E-W Trellis orientation

Posted by Oldfox NW Fla (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 24, 11 at 9:27

I have a wide open area where my boxes are. I'm going to put up some trellises for tomatoes and others. I'm thinking with a N-S orientation the tomatoes will get the sun from both the east and the west. Is this orientation better than across the north end of the boxes? What say you trellis gurus?
Thanks OB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: N-S OR E-W Trellis orientation

Mel's book says N-S is better to catch the sun all day and not overshadow the other plants. On the other hand I see you are from Florida, like me, and in Florida a little shade from the western sun is not a bad thing at all. This is my first year really trying a trellis so I am not sure.

o

If the beds run N-S, where do the trellis' or tallest plants go to prevent shadowing other plants?

o

If your goal is to not shade out other plants in your garden, then run the trellis along the north side of the garden running East-West.

If no other plants will be shaded, and your goal is to get equal amounts of sun on each tomato plant, run the trellis North-South. If this is the case, as one poster noted, a little shade on the western side of the trellis may help to prevent the hot late afternoon sun to cause any issues.

Hope that helps!
Susan

o

Due to the topography of our property (and limited available space for a garden)mine run sw/ne and do surprisingly well. If a person were to connect all of my trellises end to end, the entire thing would be about 50 feet long, and average about 6 feet tall. With all of that said, i've defied every last recommendation that Mel's book suggests for trellises out of necessity, and prevailed....just my two cents..

Here is a link that might be useful: Where it all takes place

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here