Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trmeyer_gw

Question about placement of boxes and trellis

trmeyer
14 years ago

Hello, I am new here, kinda. I have been reading on this for the last few years and I am going to finally take the plunge and do it. Even though my husband doesn't think it will work.

But I have a question on the placement of boxes. In my plan I have my tomatoes, cucumbers and other vining plants on the north end of my boxes. After making my boxes and mel's mix, I will not have the money to make the trellising like he shows, which I think would work great. But I do have access to lots of cattle and hog panels that are about 12-16 ft long. I have grown pole beans and gourds on these before set up as arches. My question is, can I position my boxes in two rows with the cattle panel starting at the north end of one box, arching across the walkway to the south end of the other box and let my stuff grow over the walk? If this will work, can I grow stuff in the south end of the other boxes to grow up the arch also? There is no shade from early morning until late evening in the summer in this spot. I don't think this will shade any plants out, since they will have sun the entire day from east to west. I'm just trying to find the easiest way to do this, and really don't want to try to cut my panels shorter. Would have to use a torch or bolt cutters. Thanks for any help you can give me and I hope I explained this clearly enough.

Tracy

Comments (12)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

Even if your cattle panel is the heaviest gauge, you're likely going to have collapse at the top from the weight of the toms. In addition, it is harder to weave toms through the small holes and you run the risk of breaking a stem that way. Cukes might pull it down too. Beans, likely no.

Dan

• nycynthias
    14 years ago

For what it's worth, the supplies to do the trellising Mel's way work out to cost about $8 per trellis here in the suburbs of New York City, where everything is overpriced. Is that helpful info?

• trmeyer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I have grown gourds on these panels before and they are pretty heavy. These aren't woven wire. From my personal experience with it I am pretty sure it will hold up to the plants, I was just wondering if my placement of the arches and the boxes would work. The holes are 3 x 4 inches so I don't think that will be a problem either. Thank you for your thoughts on it.

Tracy

14 years ago

AIUI you are talking about making an arch with the cattle panel material as the only support. I can't picture how it is strong enough to bear the weight.

My trellises are 1/2 EMT conduit, and the HD sells a 10' piece for 1.65 last I checked.

Dan

• trmeyer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I anchor them to the ground with rebar posts that I have. It is very strong. I really can't imagine anything pulling them down. The panels are made with I would say 1/4 to 1/2 inch in diameter wire (if that is what you would call it) My husband said he will cut some for me if I want with a cutting torch or bolt cutters. But I was just thinking it would be easier to make the arch than use t-posts to anchor the panels cut down to about 6 ft. We will see. I may do some one way, some the other.
    Tracy

• angela12345
    14 years ago

Do you have the option to plant a bed 3 foot x 12 foot and run the entire 12 foot panel on the north side of the bed ? This also gives you 4 more square feet than if you had two 4 x 4 boxes.

• curt_grow
    14 years ago

trmeyer; Have you checked out the vertical gardening forum on GW. There are great ideas over there and cattle panel pictures too.
    Curt~

• paully1
    14 years ago

If your cattle panels are the same 9 gauge welded wire mesh that I have seen on the concrete reinforcing mesh that people around here use, they should be plenty strong enough.

If you have some six foot rebar, stakes, fence posts, etc., I would second the motion for standing the panel on its side for a multi-box run four feet high. At my allotment, lots of people use the concrete re-mesh that way. They use the 1/2" emt conduit for fence posts every four feet, and wire or zip ties to hold the mesh to the posts. (The concrete reinforcing mesh is 4' x 8' with 6" openings. It sells for about $12)

BTW Dan, it makes me crazy reading what people pay for things everywhere. Those 10' pieces of 1/2" conduit are $4.98 at Home Depot and Rona here in Toronto. $1.65 where you are? Looks like it is time to get into conduit arbitrage!

• trmeyer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, I had thought to run it lengthwise along my bed, but wouldn't I be needing it to be a bit taller? Like twice as tall as it would be? I am using an old greenhouse frame that no longer has plastic, to lay the vinyl netting on and build boxes under it to plant stuff around it also. I have a lot of vining stuff that I want to plant:) I may do the long box, if I can figure out a way to get the panels high enough. I guess I could do two stacked on top of each other and use some of the conduit instead of t-posts. The conduit would be able to be taller. I checked out the price and it is 1.88 per section. I thought it was higher. But I am already buying 50 ft. of the vinyl netting for the old greenhouse frame, I am trying to cut down on the costs of the other trellises. Thanks for all your help everyone. Thanks paully1 for explaining the cattle panels better than I could:)

Tracy

• angela12345
    14 years ago

My trellis is 5 foot high and has posts that are partially buried so it starts just a few inches off the ground ...

14 years ago

If the cattle panel is indeed the .25" welded wire, it should easily hold as an arch, but turned sideways won't be tall enough for toms and you'll be guiding your cukes 3x weekly. You can turn it the other way and your husband can cut with bolt cutters. Not a problem. All these contortions just so you don't cut is unproductive. And I prefer twine for toms, as you can untie the toms when frost comes, put them on the ground, cover with row cover, and put back up the next day. Much easier to train than cattle panel/mesh/CRW as well.

As for the cost of EMT at HD, we have to get some return for our overseas endeavors to secure resources! [/snark] OTOH, that is quite a price difference. Must be some tariff on material.

And I do like Angela's picture...very nice indeed.

Dan

• trmeyer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am still thinking about this, trying to figure it out. I think I will try one box with the netting and the conduit and try another with the cattle panels cut. Then I will see how it works out for next year. Thanks everyone. I love the picture of the garden. Thanks!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH