Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Setting up a square foot bed ???

Posted by japus 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 11:21

Pictured here is 1 of my raised beds I am going to convert to a square foot design.
It measure 4 X 12 X 1 with great soil
Some consider treated lumber a problem which may or may not be accurate, my lumber was purchased after changes were made to the products that are used in treatment.
I am considering increasing height 6 inches, that will give me the height Mels Mix suggests., will do this with 6 inch pine.
If this was your garden project, would you remove the lower treated lumber ?
Should a weed barrier still be below the Mel's Mix ?

The soil under neath is very nice, should that be removed ?
If I do that then I probably will just replace the treated lumber
Making Mel's Mix 12 inches hi
. It may be nice elevating the bed anyway.
I have time yet, just taking all info into consideration

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Setting up a square foot bed ???

I don't think there's a need to raised the sides. I had a similar situation and added Mel's mix on top of what was there. Unless you have problems with bermuda grass coming up in the bed in the past, the weed barrier isn't really necessary. The photo above is a 4X7 garden with pine sides.

Here is a link that might be useful: My raised bed garden

o

No weed barrier. Double dig the soil underneath the bed before adding whatever soil or planting mix you are going to add. Plant roots will easily grow 3 feet deep in cultivated soil.

o

Yukkuri
I understand what you saying about deep, last year I removed all soil in 1 bed and tilled it deep.
I could not believe how deep the kale roots were, at least 18 inches deep, and a young plant at that.
However...Mels Mix instructs one to place a weed barrier just 6 inches below...surface, what are your thoughts on this ?

o

• Posted by snibb Salt Lake City (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 9:55

I think LG is right-no need to pull up old soil-just add Mel's mix-6 inches-to your existing beds. Don't worry about the weed cloth, and I wouldn't worry about the wood either. Like you said, all the arsenic and other dangerous types of paint were done away with many years ago. You should be set to have a great looking garden this year

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here