Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eastpenna

My New SFG

eastpenna
11 years ago

Well my Garden is built it is 4' by 12' x 18" deep and filled with 3" of drainage stone and Mel's mix, now I just need to add the squares. What is best to use, lath or string?

Comments (15)

• snibb
    11 years ago

If I had a bed that looked that great I would only use lath. That's a killer looking garden you've got there. I wouldn't use string/twine-you'll end up regretting it throughout the year because it's going to be sagging and breaking because of the exposure to sun, wind, rain, etc. It's cheaper, but it doesn't look like you're trying to cut any corners with your SFG. Wow. I think it looks great. I've had my wood lath grids that have lasted me for more than 10 years. You can see them all on my website.

• eastpenna
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the compliment, with the garden being so close to the house I wanted to make it look decent. I do have some lath and have also considered using string trimmer line. With the lath did you use any preserver on it? Would love to see pics, where is your website?

• Bryan Scott
    11 years ago

Wow! That is a great looking box! +1 on not "downgrading" the look of your box with twine.

• brwndot
    11 years ago

Agreed - twine won't last nearly as long. Great box!

• Ray Scheel
    11 years ago

I agree with the others, don't use sting on a bed that is this sharp. My garden is at the edge of the woods, the beds edged with random cinder blocks salvaged from demo and dumpsters, but the ragged look of the string I used at first (even just as temporary markers) was bad enough that I went to just putting little marks on the edges and hand-drawing squares in the soil at planting time.

• eastpenna
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone, I did go with wood grids, just hope they look this good after a few months.

• eastpenna
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I decided to add a Hoophouse over my SFG.

Next project is to knock down a 6' x 8' shed that is next to the garden, and replace it with my new 6' x 8' HF Greenhouse that I picked up this weekend.

• quiltbea
    11 years ago

You are doing marvelously well for a new SFGr.
    Happy Gardening.

• Bryan Scott
    11 years ago

Yep, "box envy". :o)

• volguy9595
    11 years ago

man that looks great. I'm jealous;)

• Charlie
    11 years ago

Eastpenna you win the annual award for the best raisedbed sfg this spring! Beautiful job! I can't wait to see pictures of your garden with plants.

• eastpenna
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everybody! CharlieBoring, here is a shot as of today 4-11

• gone2seeds
    10 years ago

Wow. I am in love with your new bed. I just built one very similar and was looking to add a hoop house come fall. Would you be interested in adding some details of materials used for the hoop and covering? You did a fantastic job with the cover.
    Thanks.

• eastpenna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gone2seeds, the hoop is 1/2 PVC, and the plastic is 6 mil 10x25 foot roll.

I have 8 4x4 post inside of my bed, I drilled a hole down about 6" and used a 18" piece of 1/2 rebar to hold the hoops. The hoops were cut down to 9 feet ( the plastic I used was 10 feet wide). I used three cross supports attached by using screws with wing nuts. My bed is 12 feet long so I used a coupler to join two pieces of PVC together. Yes I glued them.

The plastic was installed in three pieces and held on to the hoops with snap clamps, ( you will need to get these from a greenhouse supply ). At the bottom of the plastic I used a 12 foot 2x4 ripped in half and stapled the plastic to it so I could roll it up. Also the reason I cut the hoops down was so the plastic wraps around the 2x2 to hold it in place.

On the small ends I used one 2x2 cut in half.

I also used 4 chrome plated over the door hangers on the two lower braces so I could roll the sides up. ( I got these at Lowes ).

I hope this helps.

• gone2seeds
    10 years ago

Thank you so much.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County