Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilion

Melon question

lilion
15 years ago

I have an idea and don't know if it will work. I am burdened with these ugly clothes-line poles in my yard. Your basic T, about 36" wide at the top, about 6' tall. One is in full sun. Last year build a little box, about 2 feet square, at the base of it, ran strings down it, filled it with compost and planted some scarlet runner beans. They got neglected and didn't do so well, but I like the idea of growing something there.

I was wondering if I were to get some nylon trellis stuff and "tent" it over the post, fastening it down to either side of the box, could I plant 2-4 cantaloupes in the box? Would it grow up thru and climb the trellis? Or would it just spill all over the yard.

Comments (7)

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

If I understand your question, you want to know if cantaloupes trellis. EG has some great pics proving they do. However I think they need help.

I will be growing Minnesota Midgets on a trellis this year.

I think the main concern you'll have is the need to support the fruit hanging down in mid air. Panty hose are good, as is plastic netting.

Good luck and take pics please.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

We're trellising 'MN Midgets' this year as well, and are saving any sort of nylon netting we find - onion bags, etc. for this purpose. Hopefully it'll do better than on the ground, as the taste is quite fine.

Nonetheless, 4 cantaloupes in that size box will not work. Maybe two will. Your nylon netting for a 'trellis' should be able to hold enough weight, as these will be quite heavy. You'll have to train the vines up the netting so they won't sprawl.

Dan

• lilion
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know they "will" trellis, and I know I'll need slings. What I really want to know is if I plant them on the inside of the "tent" of netting, will they grow up through it? It'll be a skinny "tent" - 2 ft across at the bottom and about 6 ft tall.

I was thinking of this kind of net.

Here is a link that might be useful: trellis netting

• rj_hythloday
    15 years ago

Like Sinfonian said, they'll need help. So if you help them to get through, they should continue on up.

• lilion
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! Worth a try at least I guess and if it works? Well, I LOVE melons!

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

That netting should work, combined with the restrictions in my last para above. It should hold, depending upon variety, likely all the cantaloupes that the box size will allow.

Dan

• txchristie
    15 years ago

Ive had better luck w/ cantelope (Ambrosia variety) than w/ anything else. I put 2 along the back of a 4x4 and train them up nylon netting, supporting the melons w/ pantyhose slings. I've tried letting them run along the ground but pillbugs and other nasties get to them. I train them straight up, vertically and horizontally, letting the plant do most of the deciding.

Watermelon I just let sprawl, and FTR I've had terrible luck w/ watermelon. This will be the third year trying--I'm an optimist and we love watermelon.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH