Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luke3026

First timer - Indoor seed starting question

luke3026
15 years ago

This year is our first SFG (actually first garden PERIOD), and I'm getting my stuff together to start some seeds indoors. I have my shop lights and am building a basic shelf system. I have a couple Jiffy greenhouse kits -- the $6 ones with the 72 pellets. Now looking at the charts for when to start the seeds has led to a question. For example, Tomatoes -- for my zone I'm supposed to start the seeds indoors 6-8 weeks before last frost. Now I'm not sure how fast the plants grow, but it seems like they'd outgrow these little Jiffy pellet things long before 8 weeks pass. So when starting seeds indoors, is it generally necessary to pot up before planting out in the garden?

Comments (7)

• jwstell42
    15 years ago

Fro tomatoes yes, you generally will pot up once, or sometimes two times (depending on how fast your plant grows) prior to planting it in the garden.

This is why you only start them 6-8 weeks, and not even further before your last frost date :)

That being said, certain plants (including tomatoes) benefit greatly from potting up, as if you bury them deeply, they will actually grow more roots out of the stem than they would have otherwise.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your garden :)

• jleiwig
    15 years ago

I would say yes to potting up most things. For example, I started some lettuce seedlings in a 72 cell tray in mid january just to see if my lights were strong enough to grow them from seed.

I harvested the lettuce last week because it was growing all over the place and about 7" tall! When I pulled out the plugs from the cells, the roots were horribly root bound and wrapped around many times.

I didn't think it would be that bad because they were still fairly small...not micro greens, but not a full head leaf lettuce like you get at the store.

Based on that observation, I think I will be potting up most everything at least once. I read about using clear deli containers, and I think that will work better than buying the 3 or 4" pots from the garden center.

I plan on going to GFS to pick up a sleeve of the deli containers. They are only a few bucks, and you get either 50 or 100 of the containers. I'm just going to poke a few holes in the bottoms for drainage and use them. As a bonus, it will let me see if they are starting to get roots around the edges since they are clear.

I'll probably go with the 32 oz size since I'm not too sure what the weather is going to do and I can keep most of the plants in that size for longer if need be.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

is it generally necessary to pot up...

You're gonna get good at potting up! There are a hundred ways to do it badly/wrong. I suggest using The Google and finding a tutorial. The last thing you want is a badly stuck tomato with a 90º+ bend in the main root (if you don't know why this is bad, tutorial).

Dan

• luke3026
    Original Author
    15 years ago

When potting up, is that the time to switch to the mix that will be used in the beds (be that Mel's mix or otherwise)? Or do you pot up with seed starting mix?

• liisa_rwc
    15 years ago

luke,

I pot up using a potting mix... same stuff that is in my beds and water with a weak solution of fish emulsion. My plants are doing just fine :-)

Liisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Liisa's Garden Journey

• belleville_rose_gr
    15 years ago

I usually use a combination of seed starting mix and planting soil when potting up. I use Styrofoam cups either 8oz or 160z.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening by the Seat of my Pants

• gardener_mary
    15 years ago

My advice would be not to start too early your first time. If its 6-8 wks before, go for the 6 wks. Plants tend to start getting tall and skinny if grown inside too long, even with good lights. Its better to have a strong plant a little later than a weak plant early.

Good gardening, Mary

Sponsored