Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jengc_gw

Seeds not germinating

jengc
14 years ago

I started tomato seeds, winter and summer squash seeds on Feb 6th. I do not have one that has come up. They are in the basement which is cold but above freezing and they are about 3 inches from a florescent light which has been on to give it some heat. Is it the heat that is the problem or what? I used both seeds I had bought last year, and seeds that I saved from last year's tomatoes. Nothing. So that rules out that the seeds are not good. I am not sure what to do besides bring them upstairs and take up counter space.

Comments (7)

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

The problem is probably related to the temp. Most veggies can germinate at lower temps, but will take much longer. There are some heat-loving veggies that require longer stretches of warm soil before germinating (peppers, okra, etc.)

The set-up you are describing sounds very good for the seedlings, but not for germination. For faster germination you want higher temps. This can be achieved several different ways. Obviously, a seed germination mat would be the ideal solution, but that costs money.

Other options are (but not limited to):

On top of the fridge (some older fridges put a good amount of heat out the back, and the top of the fridge will be significantly warmer than other areas of your house.

Near the furnace (not too close though). I keep my flats near my furnace (sitting on top of my water heater) for about a 5-10 degree difference in temperature from the rest of my house.

Warm window sill....be careful with this though, as on a very sunny day, the seeds could actually "cook".

Another option, for small flats (6 pack cell packs, for example): place the flat on top of the fluorescent fixture, right where the ballast is. (To find this, merely run your hand along the top of the fixture: it will be considerably warmer than the rest of the fixture. This is typically about 6 inches (or so) from the end of the fixture that has the electrical cord.

In general: 75 degrees is good for solid germination rates. The lower the temp the slower the germination.

Once they have sprouted, put them back in the basement under the F.L. setup. There, cooler conditions will help to prevent "leggyness". Warm temps promotes faster growth, but with only fluorescent lights, they will be light "starved" and be thin and spindly looking! Lower temps will cause slower growth, and develop stockier, hardier plants. Also, cooler temps will make hardening off much easier on the plants, although they still need to be slowly acclimated to the sun light they are going to be receiving.

Here is a link that might be useful: Germination table for veggies

• jengc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Eagles Garden, you are so smart! I had forgotten about the top of the fridge and there is a florescent light in the kitchen as well if they start coming out and I haven't noticed them. Good to know that I can then take them back downstairs. You so rock!! thanks!! :D

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

Not at all, jengc, just passing on the information I have gained from other posters here. I haven't been starting things from seed for long myself. The logic works though...you need to warm up seeds to speed germination, then keep seedlings cool to slow growth (keep tomatoes above 50 degrees though).

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

My seeds are started in the basement, and I start in 3" pots in trays, then in a box that is heated from the grow lights and covered with white towels. I can get 78-80º in there no problem, germinating even the habañeros.

Dan

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

Yeah, I've seen the drawings of your set up Dan. It's pretty cool. I would probably do it, if I didn't already have a spot in my house that stays over 75 degrees anyway. My peppers take about 10-14 days, but the tomatoes, etc. all "pop up" in 4-7 days, or less. (And I don't have to do any presoak, etc.)

• keski
    14 years ago

Try amishlandseeds.com for plenty of tips on presprouting seeds, especially old seeds.
    Keski

• jengc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK well I brought them upstairs and put them on the fridge and some are germinating. THANK YOU!!! I am going to keep them up there until the tomatoes look leggy or they all sprout (or I might take the ones that have germinated downstairs and leave the others upstairs). THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Kisses all around :D

Sponsored