Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momma_s

Your seed starting mix?

momma_s
14 years ago

I had a few tabs open of posts about this for daaays, then my laptop came unplugged, and I lost them. Ugh.

I have my pots and trays bleached, and MG seed starting mix, but I thought I'd seen a few of you mixing other things into the mix itself... Can you tell me what you mix up for your seed babies, please? TIA!

Comments (11)

• jengc
    14 years ago

I went to Walmart and bought a big bag of Jiffy Seed Starting Mix for $4. I have heard that you can start seeds in Peat Moss but I wasn't 100% sure. I trusted Jiffy so I thought $4 was pretty good to start all my seeds with (hoping that will last for ALL my seeds I am starting).

• engineeredgarden
    14 years ago

I only use the storebought seed starting mixes, mainly because of it being sterile.

EG

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

I've used: Jiffy, Natural Beginnings (coir based), and even a mix of peat, perlite, and bagged top soil. I also used the peat pellets. I don't like the pellets, because the little root hairs get through the plastic mesh, and break off. Also, unlike they claim the plants I grew in them before were root bound. So, I had to rip the plastic case off the outside, and that meant more roots being broken off! :-(

• bsntech
    14 years ago

Well darn, that ruined my research.

I was given some of those peat pellets for my birthday a few weeks back - and figured I would give them a try. Today I just did a few lookups online about reviews for the peat pellets - and I just looked on Amazon before getting sidetracked. All of the reviews there said that the peat pellets worked great.

Kinda wondered about them getting root-bound or if they could make it through that very fine mesh.

Now I question if I should use them.. or not.

Here is a link that might be useful: BsnTech Gardening Blog

• ribbit32004
    14 years ago

I've used them before, but have chosen not to this year. The first time I used them I knew the roots wouldn't go through the mesh so I took off the mesh, but even then at the end of the season when I ripped the plants out you could tell the ones originally in the pellets didn't go far beyond that root wise.

The second time I used them I took off the mesh and then crumbled the peat pellet exposing more roots to the soil. Those worked better.

• keski
    14 years ago

Those plug type things do seem to limit root growth. When I purchase plants at the greenhouse, I can pull them up in the fall and the plug is still visible and the roots have not grown well. I prefer buying plants in a 9/4x8 peat pot where you cut them apart. They seem to do better. I may try making some pots for seed starting out of newspaper. This year I am going to start my own tomatoes, etc. in the hope they will have good root systems not rootbound by the pot. Right now I have started some alpine strawberries in jiffy mix. They are doing well - in fact - I think all those tiny seeds sprouted and I ended up with extras I plan to give away.

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

bsntech,

Sorry. I am just giving my experience with them. I did get better results on the ones that I removed the mesh (very carefully!).

This year I'm using peat pots and Natural Beginnings mix. When time to plant comes, I plan on cutting up the peat pot and throwing it in the hole.

• luke3026
    14 years ago

I used those Jiffy-7 peat pellets last year (my first year gardening) with good results. I used them to get the plants started, then when it looked like the roots were getting close to hitting the mesh, I removed the mesh and placed the pellets in plastic cups filled with soil/seed start mix/whatever I had on hand. I found the pellets convenient since the trays were easy to water, had the dome lid for germination, and they're super cheap. I'll probably use the same system this year.

• mean_74
    14 years ago

I have had very good luck with regular potting soil, but I usually use vermiculite. IF I am out of vermiculite, then I'll use potting soil. I guess it depends what I have.

I had horrible luck with those peat pellets. Many things don't grow through the mesh and once peat dries out it seems to be hard to keep moist.

Also, I have tried using old egg cartons with horrible luck. Use the little black plastic trays. They work much better.

• bsntech
    14 years ago

I guess I'm a little more old-fashioned.

Last year - and again this year - I just get some soil out of my garden beds and filter it through a wire mesh with about 1/8" screening. Then I use the soil and use it to plant.

I did this with the Copra Onions I just planted last week.

For the peat pellets - I think they will probably go back to the store because of the problems with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: BsnTech Gardening Blog

• momma_s
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I used the peat pellets last year for beans, and had very stunted root-bound plants because of them...

I ended up using the MG seed starting mix last week for my seeds, and mixed in some "Bumper Crop" soil amendment since I had a fresh bag. I also thoroughly soaked the mix (but drained excess water) before potting. So far, so good! Since potting on 2/10, my Italian Cameo Basil, gazanias, and Pearson Tomatoes have sprouted--fast lil buggers...

Still waiting on: Nasturtium, Viva Italia Tomato, Baby Belle Pepper, White Habanero Pepper...

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening With Care

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus