Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jleiwig

Today's adventure

jleiwig
15 years ago

Well today I picked up 6 2x6x8s to outline my raised bed area and hopefully keep the dog off of it!

{{gwi:1262219}}

Needless to say I didn't get very far. MY sledgehammer is at my parents house, and I was freezing my patootie off, so it will have to wait a little bit longer.

Comments (12)

• olof
    15 years ago

Good job. I wish I had been that productive today.

• garycinchicago
    15 years ago

I like your half lap joints!

• carolynp
    15 years ago

I love those hinges, they look very cool.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Now, that's different....I like it!

EG

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Very creative. I never would have thought of that. Solid joints and if that rebar or whatever goes into the ground, it'll hold it in place better than with just the full bed. Very nicely done!

• jleiwig
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone, I wish I could claim it as my design, but I saw a kit like this on the internet and decided to build my own. The metal stakes on the corners are designed to hold concrete forms, and are pointed on one end.

The ground was so soggy, that just by pushing the boards down over the stakes that it pushed them in too far! The stakes are 18" long, and I was planning on a couple inches sticking up so I could bend a piece of PVC over each one and make a hoop house for earlier spring planting.

I'll have to get my pliers out and pull them up some. I will get my persuader tonight from my parents house and hopefully get rid of the gaps between the boards.

All in all it cost me about 30 bucks, but that's because I went for the stakes at $3 a piece and better grade 2x6s.

Rebar was much cheaper, but there wasn't a straight piece to be had in the right length, and I didn't feel like cutting it myself.

Now I just need to get some compost and such to put in it and get the IRT 100 on it to start heating the soil.

I was going to put some linseed oil on the boards, but HD wanted 25 bucks a gallon and I wouldn't have needed but a quart, so I just passed on it and will let nature do it's thing to the boards.

I also found some plastic lathe from when I put some shutters up in my parents house, it's about 1/2" wide and 1/8" thick. I think it's 4ft in length. I'm going to use this to make a grid so that it looks pretty.

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Very cool. And try elsewhere to find smaller sizes on linseed oil. It could give you a couple more years out of your wood. Well worth it for the work alone.

Can't wait to see the final product!

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

The lapping makes the box. Well done.

Dan

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

A couple of my boxes had gaps between the boards. It's difficult to find boards that aren't twisted, warped or cupped. I ended up tacking a strip of heavy plastic over the seam on the inside. It will never show, and it keeps the soil from escaping through the gap.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

Those are nice looking beds!

• peel
    15 years ago

There was a full page photo and description of the "smart" way to build raised beds in Organic Gardening Magazine last month, and this was it! I took one look and said "hey, why didn't I think of that?!?"

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Good idea Granny. I did nothing (I didn't notice my gaps, much). On occasion heavy watering causes a bit of leaking from the side, but at least I have an idea how far down it got, hehe.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH