Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cherylco

using PVC pipes to hold up row covers?

cherylco
15 years ago

I just build two raised beds basically following Sunset's "perfect raised bed" instructions. I'm ready now to install the PVC pipes that would hold the smaller PVC pipe row cover holders.

Has anyone else done this, and can they tell me how it worked? Is it easy to get the 1/2" PVC in and out of the 1" PVC? How did you attach the row cover to the PVC pipe? Are 2 PVC pipes enough for an 8' bed, or would a third be better?

Many thanks!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Perfect raised bed

Comments (8)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

I've done both PVC and poly pipe for row covers.

No problem getting the 1/2" into the 1", as SCH40 has an outside diameter of ~7/8" (class 200 is less). You may want a little piece of wood for a shim that will make you feel better about the structure moving in strong wind. If your span is short, your second insertion may be problematic and ensure you do this in the warm sun on a warmish day to make the pipe more flexible - e.g. leave the PVC in the sun for a bit before you insert.

The best way to attach the cover to the pipe, IMHO, is black poly pipe cut in half, about 2-3" long, every foot or so depending upon your wind conditions, shave off sharp points left in the cutting. Install over cover to 1/2" PVC. Else Charley's Greenhouse has clamps. (note mouseover)

I like my hoops ~3' apart, I'm windy here and I like more stability - YMMV. In fall, remember, you can put clear poly tarps over the row cover for an extra layer of protection, and this weight is borne better with narrower hoop spacing. Shade cloth is heavier than white row cover, too.

Dan

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

I think my hoop covers are what you're talking about. I use 1/4 inch smaller PVC pipe in short pieces bolted to my beds to hold it in place like a flag pole stand. I use 1 pipe every 2 feet or so. I clamp the plastic to the pipe with cheap large binder clips. They rust but they're cheap.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

• cherylco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the help! First, I'll get a funny story out of the way. I was thinking about these a lot yesterday - as I drove to Cedar Grove to get compost, as I backed the truck up to the bed and proceeded to shovel it on in..... All of the sudden, with bed half-full, I realize: "OMG, I forgot to PUT IN the PVC." I ALMOST jumped out of the truck bed to start madly digging when I remembered: "Oh no, I don't STEP in the beds anymore!!!" At any rate, got the PVC bases cut, but missed the daylight, so I'll get those installed, and the dirt put in today.

Per the suggestions, I'll install 3 hoop covers per 8' bed - maybe at around 1.5 ,4, and 6.5 feet. Any thoughts on whether the bases should top off just level with the boxes or maybe stick out a bit?

Warm sunny days 'ain't happenin' in the PNW for several months, so maybe I'll take the hoops to the garage and leave a hair dryer running down them before trying to bend.

What about length of the hoops (for a 4'W bed)? Sunset said to cut the hoops to 6', which looked short to me. On the opposite end, Sinfonian I saw a pic in your March blog with 10' hoops. (THANKS, BTW, it's great! I'll continue perusing it.)

For clips, Dan, I like the black poly pipe idea - cheap and easy with a sawzall.

Looking ahead, before I have plants in the ground and a panicked look on my face, my next decision is row cover. I see that prices run the gamut. Initially this would be to keep out the PNW rain, snow, and cold.

What a great forum! BTW Sinfonian, seeing as we're apparently neighbors, have you found a good PNW info source?? Thus far, I've only skimmed to March in your blog.

15 years ago

Fun!

Whether the bases stick out is up to you, but I don't do it anymore as I got tired of them being in the way, but maybe you have an idea (leaving them low lets you use rebar to skewer straw bales on them). 6' pipes give you less than 2' clearance in the center, which is fine for spring but bad for fall - esp taller plants at the edge (which gives you a planting plan constraint). Too tall and it picks up wind. So start long (say 8') and cut short after you stick them in and see what gives. My hoops in Enumclaw were mostly about 3' in center, as the wind there was tremendous.

Dan

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Cherylco: Wow, yeah, we are definitely neighbors. I figured it out when I saw you went to Cedar Grove. That's what I used (3.5 c yards in bulk) last year. I'm not sure it didn't carry diseases, but even after composting all I can this past year, I don't have 3 yards of homemade!

Definitely skim my blog for what mistakes I made last year, and how I fixed them. Shoot me an email if you have any specific questions and I'll help or point you in the right direction.

I love gettint to know local gardeners. Good luck and enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

• cherylco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dave, yes, you're right. Wind can be an issue here!

Follow-up: it seems like all of the tarps specifically IDed as 'row cover' come in 6' widths.....So......if I go with 8', what are the materials options for row covers? What I'd be looking for at this time would be something that holds in some heat and keeps the plants from getting TOO wet....

Hey Sinfonian, I'm betting that you use the Cedar Grove up in Everett? I'm now out of Fall City, so the south site works for me. I have around 6 yards of horse manure/hay/shavings composting right now, but it's not going to be ready for several more weeks. That's okay, because I'll be able to use it throughout the season, and I also need to spread some over my horse pasture.

Sinfonian, did you stick with the 10' hoops, or did you go to a smaller size later on?

Cheryl

15 years ago

Huh. I used to pass by the Cedar Grove in Kent quite often.

Anyway Cheryl, the row cover material in 6' widths is unfortunate and I have 10' white row cover that I got somewhere in WA that I brought with me. Can't remember, unfortunately, where. Nonetheless, one type of row cover does not do all jobs, and IMHO you need the white to make cool in summer/frost protect and then overlayer with clear poly in spring-fall for extra frost protection and rain protection.

wrt clear poly, you only need that for 4-5 weeks a year, just go to HD and buy the 6 mil painters poly in the box or roll. That'll last you 3-4 years absent monumental wind storms and with care at roll-up and storage.

Dan

• Kona_Coffee
    12 years ago

Two quick questions: Does the schedule 40 pvc 1/2" bend enough for the row cover or should I use a lighter weight? Does anyone else use these pipes for bird netting during germination and beyond? Thanks for your input!