Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
editornj

Poll: If you had an extra 2'x2' space, what would you put there?

editornj
15 years ago

...for experimentation; to pull something from crowding your other space; to have a little extra of your favorite; or just for fun.

What would you plant?

Comments (22)

• olof
    15 years ago

If it were me I would try to get the bang for my buck by putting up a trellis and grow cherry tomatoes and cucs on the trellis and then some bush beans and carrots in the other 2 squares.

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

I'd say carrots because my 5 year old is a fiend for them. That said, I think I will have enough space for everything I want to plant now that I took out 44 SF of corn this year. Boy that opens up a ton of options...

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

I actually had an extra 2x2 box. I put my onions in it because they'll be there until the next ice age in comparison to the other plants that can rotate with seasons.

• jbest123
    15 years ago

Well if it were me, I would probably try to pound a 2 1/2ft diameter peg into it. ;o)
    John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Ok....I've been thinking about this one for a few days. Squash, pumpkins, or melons - on a trellis.

EG

• medontdo
    15 years ago

na, i'd put cabbage in there!! **onery grinn**
    spices!! like mints or something like that!! ~Medo

• jeremyjs
    15 years ago

tomatoes, tomatoes and more tomatoes.

• jleiwig
    15 years ago

I'd plant whatever it is you love the most from the garden, and you think tastes the best fresh. For example, I love fresh green beans tossed in oil and garlic, salt and pepper and stir fried for just enough to cook them but keep them somewhat crunchy. My wife will not eat them, only likes green beans out of the can. Same thing with garden peas, she won't eat them unless they are out of a can. So it does not do them justice to put extra in that space because only I will be eating them.

That being said, I'd agree with Jeremy. Tomatoes are the one crop that I really look forward to all year long. To get a big red tomato that just oozes juice out, slice it up and put some salt on it.....my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

• newgardenelf
    15 years ago

herbs- big bang for the buck

• carolynp
    15 years ago

lol, I REALLY need another 2x2. Kids down the street invited a few friends to MY house and they all want to grow stuff here, too. The two girls want to grow a watermelon. If they bring anymore friends over here, I'm going to have to politely, but firmly tell them to ask their parents for yard space. Go to my website and tell me you could say no to my garden invaders! They are too pickin' adorable.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Probably carrots. I have to fight my pet rabbit for them now, I want some for ME!

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• holly-2006
    15 years ago

It would depend on my mood.

A nice little 2x2? I'd put in strawberries, built up like a tier as someone here has done. Boxes inside of boxes, progressively getting smaller as you go up.

Either that or bodies. (snicker)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

A hot pepper for me & some carrots, little 'Thumbelina' for a snack after coming home from kindergarten or right out of the garden, maybe some 'Purple Haze' for guests.

Dan

• rj_hythloday
    15 years ago

Strawberries since I don't have any in the beds I've got planned. Or black or blueberries if I owned the house.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Holly! where have you been? I see you haven't lost your sense of humor....Ha!

EG

• daylilyfanatic4
    15 years ago

Lets see I'd start by planting two tomatoes and then when nobody was looking I'd plant another and then well one more couldn't hurt right? Thats whats happening to the rest of my sfg it started out with a plan calling for two tomatoes and two in containers now I'm up to 4 in containers and 10 in the ground I havn't even started seeds yet. yikes I hope I won't plant only tomatoes!

• holly-2006
    15 years ago

Hi Eee-Gee!

Sent you a note.

• carroteggs
    15 years ago

Hmm. That's a tuffy. I'm starting to build my box right now and I would have to say that and extra 2x2 of space sounds really good. I would have to say lots of carrot varieties that are heat tolerant so I can grow them year round! :) Now to convince hubby to let me get a juicer.... mmmm carrot juice...

• gardener_mary
    15 years ago

Like so many others have said, TOMATOES, 4 varieties that did not fit in. I never have the room for all the varieties I want to grow, just love picking 5 or 6 different cherry tomatoes to put into a salad, different colors, different shapes, so delicious.

Good gardening, Mary

• goldcoastkid
    15 years ago

If it were me (im in a wheelchair) id would use The "Gro-Eze" Telescopic Vertical Garden Tower System made by the Spud Eeze Corporation, you can plant 18 plants on the side and the top also has aprox 3 square feet more to plant in. Wow i had the BIGGEST CROP EVER IN MY 2 X 2 space. My Herbs were great on the side and i planted a Cherry tomato and 2 basil on the top along with 1 hot pepper plant. the top was a little tight but it worked great. It was easy to pick and take care of. Thanx a million.

• ck4b3d
    15 years ago

I am a big salad eater, so probably 8 heads of lettuce, a kirby cucumber & scallions.

• soundside
    15 years ago

The makings for gazpacho - tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, cilantro or parsley. When ripe, chop and toss with olive oil and lemon juice. Yum,Yum,Yum.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm