Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsuka

Square Foot Garden + Forest Garden?

tsuka
14 years ago

Has anyone here tried combining a Forest Garden with Square Foot Gardening techniques?

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I would assume fruit trees (particularly semi-dwarf and dwarf) would be able to be placed in the center of a fairly large raised-bed (perhaps a 10x10 bed). Shrubs could be grown around the trunk, and then ground-cover and other low plants around the perimeter.

The idea of containing the plants within raised-beds is appealing, as it should help keep the food sources more organized and perhaps lessen the maintenance.

Comments (7)

• homertherat
    14 years ago

I think somebody asked something like this in the fruit and orchard forum. The answer was that roots of the trees would be drawn to the top layers of the bed and would interfere with plants with shallower roots. Plus, the tree would shade most of the bed for a lot of the day.

All in all, it might work, but you would have to be careful with the plants you choose.

• catalinagrey
    14 years ago

I'm doing this, but with espaliered trees.
    I have strawberries growing underneath the trees - just to keep weeds down and not to waste any space.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

• tsuka
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What would cause the roots of the trees to be drawn to the top layers of the raised bed?

• tsuka
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Anyone know why the roots would be drawn up?

I was thinking of making the raised beds probably no higher than a cinder block.

• kiwijenny
    14 years ago

I'm no expert, but I imagine having water and fertiliser/compost near the surface - which of course you need for seedlings and short-rooted plants - would draw the tree's roots upwards.

• tsuka
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If that's the case, wouldn't normal composting and mulching still bring the roots up if planted in the ground (as opposed to a raised bed)?

Also, does anyone know whether regular additions of compost and mulch will affect the soil level/height? If it is going to keep raising the soil level, necessitating the need to make the raised beds taller to retain the soil, I'd probably be better off planting them in the ground.

• daylilyfanatic4
    14 years ago

I can't help you with most of your questions but I can tell you that regular addition of compost will not tend to raise the bed height mush just maintain it. you would be suprised how much the soil level sinks in one year.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH