Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilion

2009 garden plan - comments?

lilion
15 years ago

Hello! Thought I'd post my plan for 2009 and see if anyone has any comments. I've used this spot now for three years and am getting the hang of it slowly. I have learned for some reason peppers do very poorly in this garden, although beans, greens and such do very well. I've never tried cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower or brussels sprouts before, this will be a first. We're only a family of three, two of which will actually eat the veggies, so my little 4x7 does pretty well, supplimented by container cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes.

The bed is laid out roughly north/south with the trellis on the north side. On the west is my patio - my thinking is the zuke can hang over onto it. I had two in the bottom center four squares the first year and they tried to take over the world. This year, only one zuke will go in and I figure if it goes insane, by the time it gets big enough to shade out the lettuce, spinach and carrots, I will have gotten the closest squares harvested anyway.

Whatcha think?

Comments (13)

• jackwall

I appreciate all the comments but as someone very new to sq.' gardening, I need a little more (or a lot more) detail with regards to spacing within the square feet. Can anyone help?

• jackwall

I appreciate all the comments but as someone very new to sq.' gardening, I need a little more (or a lot more) detail with regards to spacing within the square feet. Can anyone help?

• jackwall

• sb158
    15 years ago

Looks good to me, except for the Brussels Sprouts and maybe cauliflower. Brussel Sprouts is probably the only vegetable I refuse to eat. Not real crazy about cauliflower, though I will eat it if I have to! LOL! Although, from what I have read, Brussel Sprouts can be tricky, and so can cauliflower. Could be wrong, though, as I do have the occasional "senior moment!"

• jleiwig
    15 years ago

Look perfect to me! When you say green onions, do you plan to plant heavily in the square and then harvest the onions early for green onions?

• lilion
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was actually planning on the bunching green onions in that square and sets in the other to try to grow bulb-type onions - if I can find sets in a small enough amount. The darn stores always sell them in packages of like 50 to 100! I tried it last year, but also planted turnips and they got huge leaves that shaded out the onions.

I've never tried to grow the brussles sprouts (I hate them, but hubby likes them), cauliflower, broccoli or cabbage before. I've heard broccoli can get huge, which is why I was thinking 3 across the 4 sq feet.

I've also had a problem in the past with blossom end rot on zucchini here. I'm planning on adding calcuim as needed around the zuke and to try more even watering. Tomatoes did fine in this space, only Roma got BER, but I like the trellis for pole beans, so I've gone to containers for them.

For some reason, peppers just don't do anything in this space, which is odd I thought. I've tried three times and no matter what type or when I plant, they get spindly, no leaves to speak of, and when they finally bear it's tiny, golf-ball sized fruit that aren't worth eating. Green leafy's, beans and herbs have always done wonderfully though.

I welcome any suggestions as to types of veggies to plant!

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

Just in my opinion, I would give two squares to broccoli, cauliflower and brussles depending on your depth. I know others would differ from my opion, but last year, those crops did TERRIBLE in my sfg. The ones I had singularly in large pots did fantastically. I think it was a mixture of depth, shading by each other and space. Again, these are my experiences and may not be aplicable to you or anyone else. As an experiment, I've staggared mine this spring. I'm looking forward to testing my hypothesis for my growing conditions.

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

alys,
    I thought my zucchini might have BER last year but then I did some more reading and discovered it was more likely a lack of pollination. If they were rotting while still very small, that may be the case. If not, well, ignore this!! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• lilion
    Original Author
    15 years ago

greenbean, I suspect I had a bit of both going on with the zukes when I grew them before actually. But since I also had BER on the Romas, I'm pretty sure that was the major problem.

Ribbit, (and anyone else who wants to chime in), do you think it would be better to space the bigger plants around (in three rows instead of two) and put something that doesn't mind a bit of shade, like the lettuce, in between? (There's only 3 broccoli planned across the 4 squares.) The bed isn't that deep, but it is in it's 3rd year and sits on the ground, no bottom. There's actually a bit more than a foot where the cauliflower and brussels sprouts are, because pole beans don't actually take a foot of space, more like 6 inches.

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

You might be in better shape than I was. I stuck to one per square in 10 inch beds and it was way too crowded for anything to do much. I think the 3 across is good. I, as well, was planning to interplant with smaller things that will mature before the broccoli etc. needs the space. Good luck and tell me how you do!

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

jackwall,
    There is some plant spacing info on the FAQs that might help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: SFG FAQs

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    15 years ago

Once your zucchini gets going mid summer, your gonna need a 3'x3' section or bigger for it. You can try to move the growth over to the side to spill off the bed if you have the room next to the bed. I put 3 bush summer squash plants last year in my 4'x6' bed and ripped the middle 1 out mid summer. By the end of the season, those 2 took over the bed and some space next to the bed.

Melissa1977

• lilion
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The first year I planted 2 zucchini in the bottom center four squares and they took over the entire 8 bottom squares for the most part, and spilled out over the ground. The reason I chose the spot I did this year is that it can spill onto my patio (right up against the side of the garden) and if it takes over some of the adjoining squares, the things I have planted there hopefully will be early harvest anyway.

I have an idea for a second bed this year, for a couple of tomatoes (cages, not trellised) and a couple of summer squash. What do you think?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!