Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jleiwig

Growing Extra Seedlings?

jleiwig
15 years ago

So since some of my plans have been dashed, I've been thinking of alternatives.

Since I have so many seeds that I bought this year, I was wondering if anyone has ever sold their seedlings? I've got plenty of growing space to start the seedlings, but I was just wondering if it was worth it?

Can I just set up a card table in my yard? Or will the popo stop and cite me for selling without a nursery license?

Comments (9)

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

EG had a similar question, and I told him to just put out a "donation" jar and hope people were generous. I believe that would release you from any liability. I think you could also post a "suggested donation amount" and be safe.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

A person in my neighborhood sells tomato seedlings every year with just a sign outside and no license. My brother suggested I grow extras and sell them on craigslist. I'm not doing that this year, even though I have the space.

I would sell them if you can't use them. Granny's idea is good.

• jleiwig
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love your idea Granny, and after friends and family, any I don't have a use for, that is what I will do!

• rangerbubba
    15 years ago

A church near my house has an active community garden. Plots rent for $35 per year and all participants donate at least 10% of their harvest to local soup kitchens, shelters, food banks etc.... I plan on taking my extras over there to see if anyone can use them.

• eaglesgarden
    15 years ago

Another option would be the store the extra seeds for next year. Most seeds (if stored properly) will last well over a year, some up to 8 or more. If you got your seeds from a quality source, you should be able to still get well over 80% germination for most plants next year.

Good luck.

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

I am thinking of getting a table for the flea market. I have lots of tom seeds and only room for one of each plant.

• bcskye
    15 years ago

I've thought of growing extra and selling them at a flea market, too. So far I grow extra in case of failures and give the extras to friends and neighbors who appreciate them.

• retiredprof
    15 years ago

Try Freecycling the extras, I did that last year and got a response from a community garden in my area. They were thrilled and picked up all the extra babies the same day.

• interian
    13 years ago

Hello
    Do you have the following plants?
    1-Tomatillo-ground cherry (Physalis ixocarpa)
    2-Cereus peruvianus
    3-Pomegranate-wonderful (Punica granatum)
    4-Jujube-(ziziphus jujuba)
    5-Figs-(ficus carica) -black mission
    6-Agave (mapisaga,salmiana, or marmorata)
    7-Agave (angustifolia)
    8-Agave (maximilliana) lechugilla
    9- Mormon tea (ephedra viridis)
    10-Sotol (dasylirion wheeleri)
    11-Avocados hass
    12-Passion fruit (passiflora edulis)

Please let me know how many you have, the prices and the sizes.
    I need the smallest plants or bare roots. OR
    Let me know what you have for sale
    You can email me: bomber6e@hotmail.com

Thank you very much

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES