Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seedmama

Real Estate Signs as a Trellis???

seedmama
15 years ago

Hello,

I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first post. My name is Seedmama.

I was given some old used real estate signs. It has occurred to me I could use them as short trellises. Has anyone tried something similar? I envision removing the metal panel in the middle, drilling holes in the four sides of the frame, and probably the legs, then weaving nylon cord or plastic covered twistie gardening wire into a grid.

Perhaps I could line them up side by side and use for zucchini or cucumbers?

Alternately, I could drill holes in the top of the frame only, then run several lengths of twine down to the ground on each side, making an A frame of sorts.

Input? Comments? Suggestions? All are welcome.

Thank you,

Seedmama

Comments (6)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

Sounds like a nice knee-hi trellis for cukes, melons. You could fasten two-three together in a zig-zag for a fun shape.

You could avoid the drilling and fasten the cord with a clove hitch.

Paint different colors for a fun pattern or contrast with flowers...different cord patterns for visual interest...

Dan

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Welcome! I have to say, I think Dan is a genius, just fyi. What an awesome idea!
    They would be perfect for peas and peppers, btw! Perfect heighth! I haven't ever grown eggplant, but it seems good size for those also. There is a kind of tomato trellis that is all string and sticks that I think granny uses, I hope she will chime in on this because I'm sure you could use it on anything that climbs.
    Perhaps EG will tell us if you could connect them somehow? I guess I'm thinking of gluing them end on end to get a 6 footer instead of two 3 footers? Who knows?
    Yet another smart idea for recycling in our bunch! Thanks for chiming in!

• seedmama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Zig zag would add great visual interest..less blocky.

I'm not sure how clove a hitch would work? I've done it at the top of bamboo poles. I'm not envisioning how I could acccomplish a weave and how would I end it?

Paint is a great idea, and a necessity if I want these clunkers to last. Maybe this year, in the interest of time and money I'll do a base coat of yellow, to attract pollinators, and next fall I can dress it up with more colors and patterns.

Love the idea of different weave patterns. These little squares could really become some enviable garden art!

Hadn't thought of peas and peppers, but I've been trying to figure out how I was going to trellis more peas. Glad to know these shorties can work, because I'd like to keep my cattle panel arch freed up for the earliest possible start on pickling cukes. It would be great if I didn't need to wait on the peas to finish to start the cukes. I may throw in an eggplant for good measure.

I thought about stacking but could only envision having hubs weld them, and I always hate to impose on his weekend/evening time. Will be curious to hear ideas on how else to accomplish this.

So many great ideas from just two posts! I hope to hear more.

Gratefully,
    Seedmama

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

Seedmama,

you wouldn't have a 20-foot cord that you'd be tying all at once (you could, but it takes getting used to), but presuming a 2-ft square, you could easily tie two clove hitches with 6-8 ft of cord - keep a loop around one side, pull the cord all the way thru the loop and do it again. Try it, and you'll see. I do this all the time on my trellises with hempen twine to keep the tops from moving in the wind on conduit trellises, and the sides secure to hold weight.

I don't know how you'd stack without extensions, e.g. 1" pipe slipped over the top of one and legs of other go into pipe, then drill holes for two bolts to secure.

(Forgot to say welcome, by the way),

Dan

• garycinchicago
    15 years ago

Just a little FYI ... see link

Here is a link that might be useful: Animated clove hitch how-to

• seedmama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh Gary, that is too perfect! As I was pondering this thread this afternoon, and my need to brush up on a clove hitch, I thought to myself, "What I really need is a good Boy Scout!" So here you are! Thanks!