Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajpa_gw

other shapes for beds

ajpa
15 years ago

I'm just wondering if anyone has used pretty and/or quirky shapes for raised beds, and if you'd like to share pix?

(as well as any advantages/disadvantages)

I ran across this picture of a star-shaped raised bed and I am all. WANT. WANT. WANT.

http://www.willygoat.com/imagescatalog/ScenerySolutions/4bb.jpg

(I guess it would be a pain to mow the edges though)

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (12)

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Well, mine have angular south sides so they're not rectangular. Thar is due to the angle of the fenceline in order to maximize my growing area as opposed to pathways.

In otherwords, nothing fancy.

Cool star. Definitely good for neighbor beds in a front yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

• jbest123
    15 years ago

You do not have to go by the star shape. In fact, straight lines and corners are not natural. My beds are all rectangular shaped but my veggie garden is mainly for production and minimal concern for aesthetics. If I were still full of P&V, my garden would look like the Garden of Eden. Close your eyes and let your imagination run free.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

• ajpa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Is P & V Pep & Vigor or P**s & Vinegar? :)

Sinfonian, your beds are very neat.

I think I'm going to try some kind of circle/curve for the strawberry bed. I'm trying to use as much re-cycled/free/cheap materials as possible for gardening so it will be a challenge.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

You could always make a bed in the shape of the birdhouse that I was gonna make. Granny knows about it....Hee Hee. No, really.....I just do rectangular, because it's easier to get the box "square".

EG

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

Two of mine are square set at corners to each other. Three are rectangular, but not set with aisles, but stagerred. There are pictures on here somewhere of them.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

I've done numerous raised beds for clients - including one in a wheelchair - and zero of them were straight rectangles. To me they are boo-ring.

But they are much harder to do well and you tend to get "wasted" space if you aren't careful. is a link to a piccie of our bed and the prep work involved with such a design, and I'm looking for the other ones that I can't seem to find at the moment....

Dan

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Mine are square and/or rectangular, but I set the back ones at an angle, just for visual effects. They are still empty, but should look rather pretty when full of raspberries, etc. There is also a large round bed at the left of the photo.

(click to enlarge)

Then I added whiskey barrel planters (3) against the fence for the blueberries. Room permitting, I might also fill up any empty spaces with containers of various shapes and sizes. I'm hoping it will be more pleasing than straight beds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

One of the garden books I have talks about building a circular tomato garden with a compost bin in the center. The tomatoes screen the compost from view & the compost feeds the tomatoes.

I found a similar looking one online...

Here is a link that might be useful: Circular garden

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Greenbean, I planted my tomatoes around a circular compost bin (wire) one year. I had huge, gorgeous, green vines and absolutely no fruit! I thought it sounded like a good idea, but it sure didn't work for me. I never tried it again.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

That's good to know Granny. I though it sounded like a good idea, never tried it though.

• peel
    15 years ago

My grandmother gave me one of her old gardening books from the 50s and it has a picture of a wagon wheel used for an herb garden. They laid it flat on the ground and filled the spaces between each spoke with a different herb. The spokes were dividers. OK, it's not exactly a raised bed, but it sticks up out of the ground and it's the only time I've ever liked a wagon wheel!

• worldofyardcraft
    15 years ago

Wow great ideas! Dan I love that curved bed!!! Exactly what I want to do in the front garden with a few tiers, bit of a walkway and sections for SFG'ing. My opinion is that the beds can be any shape as long as we 'see' the SFG grid (either laid out or in our heads). On the front I won't do grids, it'll be more natural, but yep I am converting to an edible front garden, and hopefully SFG and raised beds Dan style :)

Here is a link that might be useful: My gardening blog

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor