Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Gardener

Posted by MrsKelly NC- Zone 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 15:11

My husband and I live in an apartment, with a small concrete patio that is partial shade (sunny about half of the day). We are very new to gardening, but are planning to build a raised, wooden, patio garden. We have planned to make it 30"Wx7'Lx30"H. We would love some feedback on how to best construct it as well as what type of vegetables, fruits and herbs to plant. Any suggestions from some seasoned gardeners would be GREATLY appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Gardener

http://ana-white.com/2010/05/hack-natural-rustic-cedar-raised-beds.html

This was one of the simplest and cheapest options i found/used.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ana White

o

Thanks so much! She has some great ideas.

o

For your plants, I would choose plants that can stand partial shade.

o

I used these plans from Sunset and have been pleased. I used regular old 2X6 pine boards (non-treated) and they've held up well.

Pretty much all greens do well in partial shade. As for sun loving veggies, I would try grow them up a trellis or cage, which I find gives them a bit more sun, plus saves space. Just ask Mel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunset raised bed

o

I modified Ana Whites plans a little and made 17 3x6, 2 3x12 and 3 3x3 beds. You can make a 3x6 bed with 3 boards if you only want them 6 inches tall.
They work great!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here