Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adamk23

Accounting for wood frame thickness(eating internal cavity space)

ajk23
12 years ago

Hi all,

I, like many others, am excited to add my first SFG frame at our communal garden plot. My original plan was to build a 4'x4' box out of 2x6 cedar planks. I bought 8 foot long planks, and cut them in half. I then have laid out the wood to mock up the frame before building, and I noticed an inherent problem. Because the wood is 1.5 inches thick (even though it is called "2"x6) the design inherently loses 1.5 inches of cavity space, both length and width wise (yes, in depth too, since it isn't truly 6 inches deep of a cavity either).

Anyway, instead of a true 48"x48" cavity space, for beautiful little 12x12 squares, I now will have 46.5 x 46.5 to divide up. I realize this isn't the end of the world, but 7 of the 16 squares will effectively be cut short by at least 1.5 inches. The book recommends staggering the connected edges that are screwed together, rather than screwing the top and bottom directly into both sides so that you have a square box, not a rectangle. If I did choose the rectangle, I could then have a 48x46.5, but would this be less stable?

Have you encountered the same problem or have any creative suggestions for creating 16 true squares? Additionally, those who have already been through a season of SFG, would you just say that this isn't a big deal? I could buy longer boards and cut them , but there would be a ton of wasted wood, and get quite pricy fast.

Thanks for any help offered. I apologies if I am repeating a previous thread. I searched through, but didn't see similar topics. I hope your seasons produce all you hope for!

-Adam

Comments (2)