Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbest123_gw

Soil Blocks #2

jbest123
15 years ago

I have been racking my brain but as usual coming up empty. Does anybody know of a container similar to a prescription bottle that is square with rounded corners? I need it to be about 2"-3" square.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

Comments (10)

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

John, did you see my post last night, it's not square, but vitamin containers are that size. I'm going to try to figure out the plunger for one that's 3.5 inches in diameter.

Square is going to be tough to find. It's expensive to fabricate compared to round. You may find a condiment container that's rectangular.

Wood is another possibility. I think Dan is going to build one out of wood. Ah, if only I was back in junior high metal shop. I'd build a metal one. Hehe.

Thank you again for making me one!

• jbest123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sinfonian, metal is my next choice. It would be simple to just epoxy some thing together though. Peoples emagination will be the key to success though.

John

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

John - why not use a piece of flat steel, with a hole drilled through the center? If you've got a grinder of some kind, it can be made to fit perfectly inside the bottle.

EG

• jbest123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

EG, the plunger is not the problem. I would like to make a multiple block maker, square is preferable though. It would be nice to use epoxy to hold them together but Solder is not out of the question.

John

• jleiwig
    15 years ago

What about a bulk spice container from Sam's Club or GFS Market place. They aren't square, but more rectangular, and I think they may work perfectly for what you want to do.

• jbest123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nah, I am an old German and would like to keep things uniform, looking for something square.

john

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

Asprin bottles! We have some tylenol and small asprin bottles that are square with rounded corners.

• jbest123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will need 8 Â 10 containers, depending on size, to make a double row blocker to fit the width of a standard seed flat. That would be a lot of aspirin. ;o) I will probably spring for an aluminum square extrusion and epoxy them together.

John

• dapper
    15 years ago

I have been thinking about this. I have a couple of ideas. Ice trays, not sure they would be deep enough, but they have them for all different occasions. It would take putting and a plunger in each cube, then attaching something to each plunger so you could make them all work at once. The homeade popsicle containers. You can get those in 4 or 6 count I believe. Not sure if either can be bought perfectly square, but a couple of ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Whites Mill Farm

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i'd check walmart. or sams club. orrrrrr.......ya know, why not put an addd in the freecycle.org in your county? they might have people who have something, let me tell you, there are people out there who hold onto everything, ummmm not saying any names, (medo) LOL old german, i'm 3/4 baverian german, i've actually been to germany, when my 2nd stepfather was in the army and we went with him. that was awesome!! ~Medo

Sponsored