Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spacing for baby corn?

Posted by Ellen1959 ut (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 15:36

I have some baby corn Bonus seed from Cooks Garden. The packet recommends row spacing of 12 inches, with 3 to 4 feet between rows, but on the website it suggests spacing of one inch between seeds for highest yield with frequent harvesting when plants reach 18 inches.

So how many should I plant per square? I thought I'd try two different spacings and see which does better, but am not sure where to begin.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spacing for baby corn?

4 seeds per square foot is what my SQG database from growveg.com says. I grew corn this way last year with good results. I WOULD grow more in each space to help with pollination. How many square feet are you going to dedicate to corn?

o

The 3-4' space between rows is for those with mechanical cultivation.

See this thread for many different opinions on spacing:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cornucop/msg0320211426277.html?39

o

thanks. I've grown conventional corn 1 per square foot and a similar variety at 8 inches on center.

I had no idea I could do four per square. This stuff is the tiny stir fry type baby cobs, so if normal corn is 4 per square, perhaps I'll try some at four and a few at 9 per square just to see how it does.

How much I put in depends on how many beds I get built by the end of May. For the baby stuff I was thinking of as few as four squares, perhaps as many as 8. I don't need a lot of this type of corn and they produce 3 to 5 ears per stalk.

o

From what I understand, "baby corn" is just immature sweet corn, therefore you will need the same amount of space to support the 6' stalks. :)

You will also want more than 4 squares if you can give up the space. If you do not have enough corn stalks, the odds of full pollination are slim... and you'll wind up with only a few sad kernels in each ear... If you decide to only dedicate 4 squares, go 5 plants per square foot in the shape of a star (12 o clock, 3, 5, 7, 9)

Photos please!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here