Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniesgranny_gw

Granny's 2009 Garden Plan

anniesgranny
15 years ago

Here is what I have planned for my east garden. The dog kennel garden, north garden and west garden will follow when I get them (the photos) converted.

Click on the photo to enlarge:

{{gwi:1262628}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

Comments (28)

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Are you gonna plant your garden sideways? Ha! I had to lay my pc monitor on it's side to read everything. Sometimes I think you like making me do stuff like that. You're a stinker, Granny. Heh. Dang, your garden is gonna be really big this year! Can't wait to see the rest of it.

EG

• anniesgranny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

EG, I had to do it sideways in MSPaint! I was in such a hurry to get it on here I forgot to turn it back around. Deal with it ;-)

• anniesgranny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

There, I fixed the first picture just for EG...I sure don't want him to get a stiff neck!

Here is the plan for the (unused) dog kennel in the NE corner of the garden This would attach to the left side of the east garden.

As usual, click to enlarge.

The kennel is 6' high, so will provide trellises for the peas and pole beans.

• anniesgranny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is the north garden. There is a 6' cedar fence on the north side, a 2'high wire keep-the-pups-out fence on the south.

This garden joins to the kennel garden.

I have one more garden spot, but I don't have the measurements here with me. It should hold 4-6 more indeterminate tomatoes in SW buckets, and a bunch of marigolds.

• peel
    15 years ago

I'm jealous of your space! Looks fantastic.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Ha! You just love scolding ol' EG, don't ya?

EG

• anniesgranny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yup, EG. It's the highlight of my day!

By the way, I meant to mention those green stripes running through the beds are my 3 tube sprinkler hoses. I'm only using 3 feet of the four foot width, and putting the sprinkler hoses upside down and covered with mulch in the six inch wide spaces on each side of the center squares and running them on low pressure (poor man's drip system). I'm losing a few feet in each bed, but I think the plants are healthier with the extra room.

Granny

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Oh, ok.....No drip stuff for me, I enjoy carrying the buckets of rainwater out to the garden, then watering manually. It's an EG thing....you wouldn't understand. Besides....I have to be doing something all the time, or I get all freaked out. Heh.. Yeah....I know, weird!

EG

• anniesgranny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rainwater? What's that? We might get one day of rain during the summer, and that is usually a cloudburst or hailstorm. We have irrigation water (non potable)that we have to pay for if we use it or not. $150 for all we can use from April to mid October.

Granny

• anniesgranny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

When I flipped the first image for EG, it wouldn't show full size when clicked on, so I removed it and I'll try it again. Click on this thumbnail and when the larger photo appears, hover your mouse near the top and click on "full size". Sometimes I don't like PhotoBucket all that much ;-)

Granny

• jleiwig
    15 years ago

Looks very good! Makes me hungry just looking at all those tasty veggies!

• jbest123
    15 years ago

Looking good Granny, you must give a lot of vegies away also.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

• conniem56
    15 years ago

You are making me that much more anxious for spring. :) Looks great!

Connie

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden blog

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Love your blog Connie! I can't figure out how to comment there, but I'll probably figure it out as we go along.

• Yoshimi Dragon
    15 years ago

Granny -- just popped over to your blog to take a look, and had to tell you that I love the lettuce harvest. So lovely, and I bet they tasted great!

• anniesgranny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

docarwen, I wouldn't know, but my pet rabbit sure does like it! I'm hoping for a decent harvest of spinach and radishes, which will be all mine.

Granny

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

Granny,
    What spacing are you using with your strawberries?

• anniesgranny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Greenbean, I'm planning on 2 per sf, staggered planting (one in lower left and one in upper right). However, if I find the plants are too pricey, I'll go with one per sf and let them each produce a runner or two. Usually they come bare root with 25 per bundle, and are reasonable like that. I can't mail order them, as I won't be up north when they arrive, so I have to count on being able to find them (bare root bundles) when I get there, mid March. If they are already potted up and growing, the cost would be prohibitive for a bed that size.

Granny

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Great looking plan Granny! You'd think you have all the time in the world to figure it out, hehe. Way to go!

• anniesgranny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sinfonian, I have a horrid cold which keeps me awake nights and away from the card games. I've had an entire week of self inflicted quarantine to play with garden plans.

Granny

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Ah, sorry to hear that Granny. I too got something from the kids. Not too bad, just a head cold. Glad you used your time productively though!

Get well!

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

Thanks Granny. I got a bunch of strawberry starts from a guy cleaning out his runners last fall. They are living in a kiddie pool until their bed is ready. I know when I popped them in the pool in October, I lost a lot (a lot of them didn't have any roots yet) but I had WAY more than I could fit, so that's ok. Since they're mulched pretty heavily with straw and surrounded by my bags of shredded leaves, I have no idea how many live ones I still have in there.

• anniesgranny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Greenbean, if I remember correctly, we used to bundle the starts and put a rubber band around them. Then they were buried in a tub of damp peat moss, and the kept quite well that way. If you don't end up with as many as you want, just plant them a bit further apart and let them put out a couple of runners.

Granny

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

Thanks Granny. Sheesh, wish I had known that back in October... Oh well, I only have a 4'x 5' bed for them, so I don't need a hundred of them...

• anniesgranny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Greenbean said: "Oh well, I only have a 4'x 5' bed for them, so I don't need a hundred of them..."

Cool...if you end up with a hundred of them, my address is....

;-)

Granny

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

I'll keep that in mind :-)

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

I love it Granny, so you do two dwarf nasturtiums and was it four dill per square? I was thinking of using the nasturtiums as a ground cover under my Ind. tom's and beans. What do you think? Will it mess with my spacing too much?
    I have got to get my blog going again. Sigh.

• anniesgranny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Flood, the nasturtium package says to space them 6" apart for mass effect, so I'm putting in 4 per square. The same with the dill, although that seems a bit crowded to me...but that's what the seed packet says.

My concern about planting nasturtiums at all is, with our rich soil in the raised beds we'll probably get mostly leaf and little bloom. Nasturtiums don't like fertile soil. I'm contemplating putting some of mine in containers of regular soil and just setting them in with the veggies. I have used them as ground cover around cabbages, and they pretty much overtook the area. It didn't bother a big plant like cabbage, but I don't think I'd get too carried away with using them as a ground cover. Here is an old photo (2002), taken during an evening rain, but the only one I could find that showed the nasturtiums and cabbage. If I remember correctly, there weren't all that many nasturtium plants there, they just spread quite a bit...and yes, these are the dwarf variety.

I had good, fertile soil. Notice the lack of blossoms compared to all the leaves.

Granny

Sponsored