Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peel_gw

Updated layout

peel
15 years ago

Hi everyone, I've created a new layout for my beds over on my blog. I'd appreciate any feedback....thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gumshoe Gardener

Comments (14)

• jleiwig
    15 years ago

One thing I might suggest is putting the lettuce at the south facing end of the bed so that once the things on your trellis start growing you might have a chance to shade your lettuce and extend it's growing season into the summer months. I have no idea how big eggplant get, but basically I'd flip your entire bed on the left except for the pole beans.

Are you sure you want two each of zucchini and yellow squash? It's not uncommon to get 20 or more squash from each plant. I always end up giving away fresh squash or zucchini bread or some other ingenious idea to get rid of it.

And as for the additional squares, I don't see any cilantro for home made salsa! That seems to be the only thing you have left..got the tomatoes, peppers, and onion.

It actually is almost identical to what I'm planning for this year, except that I'm forgoing the spinach, and I'll only have a couple japaleno pepper plants.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Beets. I have to have those sweet baby beets. Beets like to grow next to onions, so you have the perfect empty spot for them.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Oooh granny, someone was talking about growing those golden beets the other day. Apparently they use them to make sugar in other countries.

• peel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Duh, cilantro! I bought cilantro seeds as an afterthought and forgot to include it. Thanks!

I'm doing two of each summer squash plant because I got wiped out by powdery mildew last year and I want to have backups in case they don't produce as well as they should. It's always better to have too much, I think!

I think you're right about flipping the bed, too. It makes more sense the way you're suggesting.

Granny, neither one of us like beets very much! But after watching "Good Eats" last night I think I may want to grow some leeks in at least one of the squares.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gumshoe Gardener

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Peel, have you ever eaten baby beets from the garden? NOTHING like the stuff you get in cans! Great as beet pickles, too.

Listen to Granny, she's 70 and cantankerous now! :-D

Granny

• jleiwig
    15 years ago

Listen to Granny, she's 70 and cantankerous now! :-D

I seriously doubt that you just came about to be cantankerous at 70. Something tells me that you've always been this way! :)

Peel,

Leeks would be good, so would the cilantro. Have you thought any about succession planting?

• carolynp
    15 years ago

I love Alton Brown, too, lol. I've read something recently about spraying a diluted milk solution to prevent powdery mildew. I'll link if I find it.

• peel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I actually stopped the PM using the milk/water spray, but it was already too far gone by the time I came across the idea.

Granny, believe it or not, I HAVE had beets from a garden....my grandfather's garden when I was a kid. I just don't like them! I'm sorry! Don't be mad at me! :)

I will be succession planting, although I didn't label it on my diagram. I'm going to try for two crops of the lettuce, broccoli, and cauliflower, maybe carrots...

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Hehe I had beets from my brother's garden this past year and boy were they good.

Oh and AB is great! Multitaskers only in my garden as a result, hehe.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Aw, Peel...Granny could never get mad at you :-)

I hate cilantro.

Granny

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Granny said Aw, Peel...Granny could never get mad at you :-)

Yeah, that's what I'm here for....Granny's punching bag. Heh.

EG

• peel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Granny, how could you hate cilantro?? Have you ever had fresh baby cilantro straight out of the garden?

Just kidding. :)

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Peel said "Have you ever had fresh baby cilantro straight out of the garden?"

Yup, right out of my son-in-law's mother's garden. I hated it! I use flat leaf parsley in its place.

Please don't be mad at me, Peel *wink-wink*

Granny

• jleiwig
    15 years ago

Cilantro is an aquired taste, but for salsa and fresh mexican cooking it cannot be beat!

Too much of it is a bad thing though, and I hate how my hands smell after chopping it!

Sponsored