Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potato box with lentils

Posted by Manday 6A OH (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 16, 11 at 15:52

I am thinking about trying a potato box but I also like the idea of companion planting. I don't have a lot of space, so I would like to get as much out of my garden as possible.

Has anyone tried planting other crops in with the potatoes? Say after you stop raising the box and let the potatoes bush out? I have also thought about using the sides of the box; has anyone tried this?

Specifically I am thinking about the following:
I have read that potatoes and lentils are good companion crops. Does anyone know if it would be possible to plant lentils on the sides of a potato box (through holes or between slats) and attach a lattice or support for the beans? I realize that I may have to make the box a little bigger and keep the potatoes toward the middle to have enough room for all of the roots, but I just wasn't sure if this was even possible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potato box with lentils

Give it a try. I've never done it, but if you have enough nutrients to support the extra plants, then fine. I myself use almost excusively compost in mine so that'd work fine. GL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here