Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edymnion

Corn Companion Planting?

Edymnion
11 years ago

Hello all,

I've got a main garden plot thats somewhat small, 8'x12' and this year I've finally gotten my hands on 40 kernels of Glass Gem Corn. Been waiting a long time for these, so I'm planning on doing the entire lot in four rows of 10 stalks each. That will work out to a little more than a foot between stalks in each row, and about a foot a little over a foot and a half between rows.

While I am going to be growing other things in containers (even going to be building a long deep potato box for my potatoes, peppers, sweet potatoes, etc), I would like to try and reclaim some of that space in the garden plot.

First thing that springs to mind is three sisters. I know the general idea for it. Plant the corn, let grow 6-8 inches tall, then plant pole beans about 6 inches away. Once the beats are climbing the corn, plant the squash.

Few questions for those that have done this before:

1) Its generally one bean per stalk of corn, yes?
2) Are there any legitimate worries about damage to the corn stalks from the beans? I have to admit, I'm out here in kudzu country so I'm naturally suspicious about creeping vines wrapping around plants I want to live. No worries about the beans shading out the corn or anything like that?
3) The beans fix nitrogen into the soil through their roots, I've heard this. However with such a dense setup, how often (if at all) will I need to feed with the watering, and with what mix? I know corn likes all the nitrogen it can get, pumpkins like plenty of it too, but the beans don't?

So yeah, its my first time thinking about trying this, and I'm trying it with some pretty rare corn that I really don't want to screw up. Is it worth it to try this, or should I just stick to my rows of plain corn and lots of lawn fertilizer?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio