Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbest123_gw

Another dilemma

jbest123
15 years ago

In a couple of weeks, it will be seed planting time here in zone 5. Today I checked my compost pile and it is frozen solid as a brick. Two full swings of an ax and I only left a dent. I may have to get the chain saw out or the gunpowder or something. God forbid if I have to use that commercial junk. If I could get a couple of chunks out, I could nuke it in the microwave to thaw. Does anybody have suggestions?

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

Comments (16)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

Does anybody have suggestions?

Can you run a pipe to Washington DC and then to the compost pile?

;o)

Dan

• jbest123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If I could I would probably have spontaneous combustion.

John

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

Does it get any sun? What if you covered it with clear plastic for a hoophouse/greenhouse type effect?

• jbest123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It does not get much sun in that location. Maybe an auger like the ice fishermen use???

John

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Wanna borrow my hair dryer?

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Dumb question from me? How do you guys have seed planting time before the ground has thawed? That would fall under the impossible category for me. I would probably call the local extension and find out what their take is. If you're just looking to start seeds indoors, you could do it in straight vermiculite or peat in yogurt or milk cartons.

• liisa_rwc
    15 years ago

Pour some hot water over it??? Sorry, I don't live in an area that gets that cold.

Liisa

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

John, you're gonna have to get some heat to the center somehow. Ok....I know this is gonna sound crazy, but if you can drill some pretty large holes completely through the pile, it should thaw out easier. I'd take an auger drill bit probably....1" at least, and weld a piece of drill rod to the end to make it longer. Of course, an electric 1/2 drill motor will need to be used, because battery powered just won't do the job. Let me know if you need anymore ideas.

EG

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

So working a pitch fork into it with your body weight and then working it back and forth to break it up wouldn't work? That'd be my suggestion. Good luck!

• jbest123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The frozen compost was no match for a mattock. With spring coming in a couple of weeks, I would like to see it try it again, HaHa. The chunks of compost is in the shop thawing out as I speak.

John

• eaglesgarden
    15 years ago

try a garden pick, and then wrap up your broken off chunks in platic (clear if possible) and place it in the sunniest spot in the yard. It will defrost in no time.

The weather in PA this week should be plenty warm and sunny to get it done before the weekend!

• jbest123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The peoblem has been solved. I am on my wat to making soil blocks.

John

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

blast it. I was looking forward to the gunpowder.

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Ooh, my trusty pick axe! I LOVE that thing. I've removed countless stumps, sod, transplanted bushes bigger than me, all with a 20 pound pick axe. The sharp end would make quick work of that pile!

• carolynp
    15 years ago

You rock Justin. Though I too was excited about the gunpowder...

• jbest123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The gunpowder was just a thought. My compost bins are adjacent to the post office loading doc. I can just see it, postal carriers slipping on there butt going up the ramp. I would surely be behind bars.

John

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions