Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another dilemma

Posted by jbest123 Zone 5 PA (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 7, 09 at 16:15

In a couple of weeks, it will be seed planting time here in zone 5. Today I checked my compost pile and it is frozen solid as a brick. Two full swings of an ax and I only left a dent. I may have to get the chain saw out or the gunpowder or something. God forbid if I have to use that commercial junk. If I could get a couple of chunks out, I could nuke it in the microwave to thaw. Does anybody have suggestions?

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another dilemma

Does anybody have suggestions?

Can you run a pipe to Washington DC and then to the compost pile?

;o)

Dan

o

If I could I would probably have spontaneous combustion.

John

o

Does it get any sun? What if you covered it with clear plastic for a hoophouse/greenhouse type effect?

o

It does not get much sun in that location. Maybe an auger like the ice fishermen use???

John

o

Wanna borrow my hair dryer?

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

o

Dumb question from me? How do you guys have seed planting time before the ground has thawed? That would fall under the impossible category for me. I would probably call the local extension and find out what their take is. If you're just looking to start seeds indoors, you could do it in straight vermiculite or peat in yogurt or milk cartons.

o

Pour some hot water over it??? Sorry, I don't live in an area that gets that cold.

Liisa

o

John, you're gonna have to get some heat to the center somehow. Ok....I know this is gonna sound crazy, but if you can drill some pretty large holes completely through the pile, it should thaw out easier. I'd take an auger drill bit probably....1" at least, and weld a piece of drill rod to the end to make it longer. Of course, an electric 1/2 drill motor will need to be used, because battery powered just won't do the job. Let me know if you need anymore ideas.

EG

o

So working a pitch fork into it with your body weight and then working it back and forth to break it up wouldn't work? That'd be my suggestion. Good luck!

o
Ericka

The frozen compost was no match for a mattock. With spring coming in a couple of weeks, I would like to see it try it again, HaHa. The chunks of compost is in the shop thawing out as I speak.

John

o

try a garden pick, and then wrap up your broken off chunks in platic (clear if possible) and place it in the sunniest spot in the yard. It will defrost in no time.

The weather in PA this week should be plenty warm and sunny to get it done before the weekend!

o

The peoblem has been solved. I am on my wat to making soil blocks.

John

o

blast it. I was looking forward to the gunpowder.

o

Ooh, my trusty pick axe! I LOVE that thing. I've removed countless stumps, sod, transplanted bushes bigger than me, all with a 20 pound pick axe. The sharp end would make quick work of that pile!

o

You rock Justin. Though I too was excited about the gunpowder...

o

The gunpowder was just a thought. My compost bins are adjacent to the post office loading doc. I can just see it, postal carriers slipping on there butt going up the ramp. I would surely be behind bars.

John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here