Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michele0901

SFG Plan advice needed

michele0901
13 years ago

Hello everyone

I'm pretty new to gardening - only my second year - and need some advice about my plan. I'm also new to this forum, so bare with me. Last year we only had one 4' x 8' and had pretty good luck. Half the bed was lettuce, which we shaded. We also had carrots, beets, cilantro, spinach, and parsley. Tomatoes and peppers were grown in a separate part of the yard (we are planning on doing beans there this year so we're moving tomatoes and peppers to the SQF beds.)

This year, we are expanding. My children (2 and 4) want to get in on the deal, so we are going to give them their own 4' x 4' bed filled with their chosen crops. We'll also have a 4' x 4' filled with potatoes. These beds are 8" deep. The 2 4' x 8' beeds are 12" deep.

I'm planning on using the tomatoes to help shield the lettuce. Last year we had a shade over the planter and were able to have lettuce well into the summer. I didn't show it on the plan, but I think I'll plant some carrots on the border by the tomatoes as well. I might also plant some other beneficial flowers like marigolds, nasturtiums, etc. Any ideas?

Here are my questions:

I'm a leaving enough space for the tomato vines, squash, cucumber, and zucchini? I was thinking that if a planted the squash and zuch on the edge of the bed, they could fall over the edge if needed. I wasn't planning on trellising them.

I tried to match things up so plants are next to plants they like? Is there a better arrangement?

It's hard to show the plan in text form, so hopefully you'll understand it. The first row listed is on the West side, thus the south (lined up with brocolli) is on the south end. Lettuce is in all 4 squares to the north in the 4x8 boxes.

Here's the first 4 x 8 planter:

Brocolli (1) Spinach (4) Cucumber(1x2 sq) Tomato - Vine (2x2sq) Tomato - Vine (2x2sq) Lettuce (2)

Brocolli (1) Spinach(4) Lettuce (2)

Brocolli (1) Beets (9) Cucumber(1x2 sq) Tomato - Vine (2x2sq) Tomato - Vine (2x2sq) Lettuce (2)

Brocolli (1) Beets (9) Lettuce (2)

Here's the kids' planter. It will be to the north of the first planter.

Carrots (16) Lettuce (2) Strawberries (4) Sunflowers

Here's the 2nd 4x8 planter:

Squash (2x2sq) Beets (9) Carrots (16) Pepper (1) Tomato - Vine (2x2sq) Lettuce (2)

Beets (9) Carrots (16) Pepper(1) (1) Lettuce (2)

Zuchinni (2x2sq) Basil(1) Parsley (1) Pepper(1) Tomato - Vine (2x2sq) Lettuce (2)

Basil (1) Cilantro(1) Pepper(1) Lettuce (2)

Thanks for any and all advice :)

Comments (2)

Sponsored