Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My method

Posted by n1111z High Plains (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 14, 10 at 16:52

I love reading posts of others' experiences with SFG, I always learn alot. Here is a brief description of my method, which I have used for three very bountiful seasons now. Everything in here is IMO; I can be described as a novice gardner at best. Picture URLs are at the bottom.

I built my boxes in a weekend out of 5/8 x 6" untreated cedar for about a third the cost of online kits. They have to be reinforced inside with wire to keep them from bulging. They still look brand new. I like the 4 x 12' size.

My boxes are open at the bottom and the sod was removed before installation. After much (mostly bad) experience with Earthboxes, Autopots, etc., I believe that to do well large vegetable plants must be in contact with the earth. Pests, disease, blight, burned up; you name it I had it. I use Mel's mix and usually top with about 3" of bought compost each spring.

Irrigation is a must here in western Kansas. I run PVC down each side and place misters about every foot. These are on a timer. I water heavily once a day unless it rains, which isn't often. I get supplies from the very nice folks at Dripdepot.com.

As you can see I'm very small scale. It's just me and the wife now. I've grown everything under the sun in these boxes but I always have too much of what I don't like and not enough ... you get the idea. This year I'm going to go with what I like and can't get at the store, which ain't much. I'm starting seeds indoors for the first time (another post), can't get the seedlings I like either.

That's enough blather. Lastly, I'm a firm believer in Mel's method. It works for me. Can't talk much though, as I've never tried it the other way. Here's some pics.

http://glennspictures56.shutterfly.com/187

http://glennspictures56.shutterfly.com/186

http://glennspictures56.shutterfly.com/185

Peace.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My method

Thanks for sharing! I love seeing pics of other people's setups. I especially like how you have "countersunk" one of the beds into a slope. We may need to do the same thing, though I won't know for certain until the last foot of snow melts--hopefully in the next two weeks.

o
RE: My method

My beds in the main are on cloth, as by the time I built them I had realized, I have a really horrible Japaneses beetle problem and at the larval stage eat everything in site and as my beds where going on the lawn I decided to stop them in their tracks, also my neighbours told me the people who built the house 5 years ago, spent a fortune on landscaping, we have the only flat plot in the neighbourhood, but all the neighbours are amazed that having spent all that money, they never had top soil brought in, and it shows, we have the worst lawn in the area and the garden beds are barren, even of weeds!
On the plus side I have witnessed in 1 year the amazing transformation of the soil under my compost heap, so, I am planning on having a movable heap :-)
I really love seeing other peoples garden, keep us up to date, both of you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here