Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solarity_gw

I Got My Seeds! Germination & Garden Plan Q's

solarity
15 years ago

I got my seeds! I'm pretty sure I will have two 4x8's (still building them now). Originally with just one 4x8 planned, I sort of had one of every plant planned (expensive that way though). Now I think with two I can have more duplicate plants which I think is a lot nicer. I need to make sure there isn't some vital veggie I missed though.

Questions:

1) Can I grow onions in only 6-7" soil? I'm guessing not so I didn't include them. I should have included garlic... I might have to stick that in.

2) Ok I have my seeds... How do I germinate them? I see many people use baggies and paper towels. Is this how I germinate them and if so how do you get them in the dirt once they are germinated without damage? Can I just put them in the soil right away and follow the directions? Should I plant 2 in each pot and thin later? Should I keep the light on first thing to help heat the soil a little extra?

3) I got 3" peat pots because that was the largest size and I thought that sounded pretty big... Well 3" looked a lot bigger in my head than in real life.. So is that an ok size or will I have to repot them later? I was hoping to not have to transplant the seeds at all, ultimately just sticking the pot in the ground.

4) Here is my current garden plan. Tell me what you think... I tried to use some companion gardening but it got complicated for me to think about :P . Also I think my carrots aren't in a good spot, but I hear they are good with tomatoes.. :P

{{gwi:1263144}}

Comments (16)

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

The picture of the plan didn't come up right for some reason.

For some of my early spring planting of peas, I started them in wet towels in plastic zippy bags. The lettuce, spinach and broccoli I started under lights in little peat pellets. Those worked out REALLY well. I direct planted radishes and carrots. Those are coming up fine now. I know several others like to pre-sprout everything, but this seemed to work for me...a bit slow, but it worked.

Garlic, I think, is a fall crop. Hold on to that idea. I'm sure onions will grow to whatever size they can in the space they can.

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

The onions should be ok I think. The bulbs grow just at the surface of the soil. I'm sure someone with a shorter bed than mine (mine are about 15" high) can tell you.

The germination question depends on what kind of seeds you have. Some things start just fine outside. The garden plan didn't open. Try to post the pic again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• solarity
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmm.. Its a .tiff and shows up fine for me but it could be because I have a mac. I'll see if I can get it fixed tomorrow.

• solarity
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok that was easier than I expected:

{{gwi:1263145}}

• solarity
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll probably replace that loan radish (why did I put that there?) with onions.

I read that radishes help melons, can I plan some radishes in those 2 sqft reserved for the melon early on before it gets too big? I figure with the quick harvest it might be ok?

Oh and the melon.. They are not big fruits, max 3lbs. So do I still need to do one in 2 sqft or can I do 2 of these melons?

Thanks so much everyone.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

I'll warn you right now...it will be close to impossible to pick bush beans that are planted in the middle of the bed. In the sfg, I found mine to be a miserably tangled mess. It works much better to have them in the outside squares, and only one square deep.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

Granny, don't say that NOW of all times; why couldn't you say that months ago when I was drawing this bugger out. Seriously, only one square deep on the sides? I have three foot by three foot sections of them.

Drat. Now it looks like I may need to start over (small grin). Tell me then, what would you put in those squares next to them that they wouldn't over run?

Solarity, are those peas vining? My sugar snap are, but I don't know about your variety. Do you have a trellis on that side?

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Oh, I don't know... some of you may have seen the pic of me standing on the rails of my bed, spanning 4 feet, picking pole beans. It was fun. My legs hurt and I had to jump off without stepping on the soil, but it worked. hehe. I could reach from the outside for the low stuff, but when it got over my head, I had to climb...

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Wire fence cylinders work fine for sugar snap or shorter vining peas in the sfg.

It's easier to reach for the pole beans than to push through tons of foliage to hunt for bush beans when they are planted in a large block.

Here is one of my beds last year, before the beans even blossomed...they got much bigger and more tangled, and I had to finally pull the beets and carrots before they were really large enough, as the beans were crowding them out. I even had a little fence in there, trying to hold the beans back from the beets! The beans are in half of the 4x4 bed, 8 sf. and they were really hard to pick when mature. I will NEVER AGAIN go more than one square deep, and those squares will be on the outsides of the beds.

Granny

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

Granny, I was so concerned about the beans until you posted that picture. Look at that poor puppy. There's perfectly good dirt on the other side of that fence an he can't get to it. Shame on you, Granny. You can see the angst in his eyes. Give that poor puppy some dirt! :)

Seriously, I'm about to go back over my layout now. I don't know if I'm frustrated about going back over it or guiltily eager....It's all about the planning that gets us through the winter, isn't it. :)

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Ribbit, that is my neighbor's "grandpuppy", Luna. Every time she comes to visit, she gets lifted over the fence to play in my garden for a bit, then into my yard to play with my two. That will all change this spring....the smashed fence got replaced last fall, and they put in a gate! Visits will be much easier for Luna now!

Granny

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

I planted my green beans 3' deep last year. My husband complained about it when he had to pick the 2.5 weeks I was gone, but it didn't bother me. I didn't have nearly enough in the freezer so this year I'm planting a 4'x 5' bed just of green beans (I don't think I've told DH that hehe) plus a few pole beans. I'm almost afraid of what I might get but I want good garden veggies past fall...

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• solarity
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok I'll switch my peppers with the green beans then so they are just 1' deep. I'll have to double check the sugar snap, but I think I was hoping the small wire cage would be ok.

What about the melon? Can I put in 2? Or just stick to one in that space?

Thanks everyone :) .

• rj_hythloday
    15 years ago

How about pole beans? I have mine planned 2 deep w/ some mammoth sunflowers amongst them.

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Someone remind me! I think cantelope and honeydew are 1/sf, so they should be fine. I think (and have personally experienced) that watermelon are 1 3/sf. IMHO: My watermelon were very crowded at this spacing, so this year I will give them at least 4 sf.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

carolyn - melons are 1 per 2 sqft

EG

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!