Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adamclyde_gw

help with Trellis plus a few other random questions

adamclyde
13 years ago

I am renting a house near the coast in Huntington Beach, CA. Renting is the key word as it means I don't have options as to where I plant my garden. With that as my reality, I went ahead and built two raised beds to do some square foot gardening. They are both 3' x 6' and are planted in an East-West orientation. To the East, there is shade in the morning from a large tree, and directly to the North there is a tall ivy-covered wall only 14 inches from the back end of my beds.

I drew up a diagram to explain: http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamclyde/5469802858/ (I hope that works)

I have a few questions. First, about trellising. I was planning on a trellis along the north end of the beds, along the lines as the one here: http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/sqfoot/2003115737000473.html. My question is, is there a problem trellising only a foot from an ivy covered wall, where critters are likely to traverse? What is the likelihood they will make the jump to the garden?

Among other plants, I am planting tomatoes (determinate and indeterminate), cucumbers and pole beans, all of which will need vertical support. What's my best bet for trellis? Should I worry about that wall being so close to the trellis (though I don't know that I have an alternative as anything else would block much needed sun)?

On to my second question (sorry for the rambling). Since my garden gets shades on the East end in the morning from the tree and the West in the afternoon from the house, how should I plan out my most sun-needing plants (tomatoes and pole beans, I'm assuming)? Should I put them toward the back middle? (i.e., in the back right of the left bed, and the back left of the right bed)? I am not sure if that made sense... hoping that the diagram can elucidate...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Here is a link that might be useful: Back yard diagram

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus