Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sfg and csa ideas for 2012

Posted by snibb Salt Lake City (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 19:52

SFG season is just around the corner. I've been killing myself this off-season putting my site together and it's finally starting to take shape. But, my question is this: has anyone been successful in selling a "share" or "shares" of their SFG to a friend or neighbors? You have some of these huge CSA's around that have long waiting lists or they have hit their maximum numbers of people that they can handle. I was thinking of trying to sell just one "share" to someone for something like $20/week(the going rate). My SFG is not that big but I could handle at least 1 share. Has anyone else done anything like this? It seems to me that some of the people who don't make it on the official CSA membership roles might be interested in this? What do you think?..thanks..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sfg and csa ideas for 2012

bump

o

• Posted by snibb Salt Lake City (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 17:03

bump? what does that mean?

o

bump means that the person that read your question thinks it is valid/good, and is sending it back to the top of the queue by responding to the message with a simple bump...

o

Sat, Feb 11, 12 at 0:13

man i have a lot to learn

o

Snibb, I guess I would be worried about any liability of actually selling my produce. G*d forbid something disagrees with them or they find some reason to complain or you can't deliver what's agreed on. But if you need to earn the money, you can probably find someone who you'd feel comfortable entering into a transaction with. The cost of the share seems about right. Good luck. Amazing that you have that much left over at the end of each week.

o

Sat, Feb 11, 12 at 10:10

Never thought of the legal angle. Well, that about does it then for me because that's not worth it...maybe I will find a neighbor that would be intereted. Sad that it comes down to this

o

Maybe you could figure out some trades? I have a friend who I trade veggies for fresh eggs. It's not as good as cash, but it's a mutually beneficial transaction.

o

Tue, Feb 14, 12 at 0:41

good thought basil

o

Hi Snibb, I didn't mean to freak you out about the legal angle. It's just that here in the bay area, everyone is so litigious. Ugh. And, CSAs are extremely trendy here, as well. Farmers have branded themselves and certain farms are more "exclusive" than others. People have a very high expectation of what they are to receive from the csas---and it might be hard for you to meet a certain expectation of that if you're a home grower.

But, I agree with basil... trades would be a fabulous idea. Trading for eggs is brilliant, and if I could do that, I would.

I actually think that is how the "olden days" used to be in many parts of Europe and the mIddle east. Some families grew some crops, and traded with other families that grew other crops.

One other idea, if you can't find a person to trade with and just want to make sure your garden is enjoyed by more people, the regional food banks are always looking for donations.

Happy gardening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here