Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you make your grid?

Posted by lucille Houston (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 21:42

For the grid, do you use strips of wood, or pieces of string?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you make your grid?

String - but thick, tuff, synthetic

o

Also used wood once but it was a pain to work around.

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 9:57

Initially, I used vinyl window blind slats & hand watered.

The next year I used them again & hand watering became too much during our summer drought. The beds really do dry out quickly, so also used a sprinkler on top of a bucket.

The 3rd year added soaker hoses & didn't put the slats back in place. I lay them out a bit when planting, but remove them.
I dislike the appearance of the grids & don't really need them anymore to plant.

I learned to space with my hands & if a bit more space is given I need to water less. If plants are more productive even though less plants in the space than Mel's suggestion my yield is the same because each plant gives more.

o

I tried the venetian blind slats but those got blown around on a windy day. Tried green garden twine but that disintegrated within the season. Finally used nylon tomato string and it worked great. Screwed small screws on the top of the boards and wrapped the twine back and forth from side to side.
Note: Tried screws on the inside but the string kept popping off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here