Cherokee Purple germination

engineeredgarden
15 years ago

Look at this little stinker....

EG

Comments (19)

• liisa_rwc
    15 years ago

Wow that was fast! Looks like the other one is close to popping too.

Liisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Liisa's Garden Journey

• jleiwig
    15 years ago

Do you find pre-germination better than just seeding?

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Liisa - this one germinated in three days, I had more last night.

jleiwig - Last year, I just put them in soil, and it took 7-10 days for them to sprout. With this method, they germinate in half the time. I just place the little thing in soil, and the next day there is a seedling emerging.

EG

• jleiwig
    15 years ago

Hmmm...I've just been starting my stuff inside and letting it sprout on it's own. I may have to try the pre-germination thing.

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Ditto!

Way to go EG!

• jleiwig
    15 years ago

What is your method EG?

In a damp paper towel inside a ziploc baggie on top of the fridge? This is the most common method I've heard of!

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jleiwig - I did a post on my method a few months ago....i'll dig it up for ya. Here it is...

EG

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog Post on germination method

• jleiwig
    15 years ago

Nice, Wish I'd saved those electrical tape containers! I'll have to try that with some of the harder to seed plants that I've heard about. I'll sow them into seedling trays though after germination, and then repot when they get their second set of true leaves.

• jbest123
    15 years ago

EG, I am planing on using pre germination for the soil blocks. How do you pick up the sprouts for planting without injuring them? On some veggies tiny leaves show about the same time as the root, do you cover the leaves also and with how much soil?

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jleiwig - yep! That's what they are....electrical tape containers. They work very good, and are stackable.

John - I pluck them from the piece of paper towel with a pair of tweezers, and put them in soil. This is done as soon as the radicle appears from the seed shell.

EG

• jbest123
    15 years ago

I just call it a root and leaves, that showes what school I am from. I will be giving it a try and you know I well be bloging about it.

John

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Sprout, root, leaves. I'm with you, John! If it's good enough for us old f**ts, it should be good enough for these young whippersnappers!

;-)

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

If my soil sowing doesn't work, I'm doing this. Well, my way with the damp coffee filters in plastic bags. Same thing. Hehe.

Frankly I wish I had done it this way to start. I just wasn't sure a seed that small would sprout just like a corn seed. Cool!

• jbest123
    15 years ago

Right on Granny, I only wish I could have said it so elegantly as you though.

John

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think granny frequently thinks to herself "Man...if I get the opportunity to call someone a young whippersnapper today, it's on!" Just my opinion....

Sinfonian - I wish you luck with your germination.

EG

• jbest123
    15 years ago

OOOooops. Hey Granny, I think you hit a nerve. ;o) ;O)

John

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Nah, John...EG knows he's my very favorite "young whippersnapper". The little poopy head.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• carolynp
    15 years ago

That is so cool, it just makes me misty looking at it!! I'm going to start a few pepper seeds tonight.
    I'm stealing this for just a sec EG: I found a place with a totally empty greenhouse, so I sent 'em a note and asked if I could use it. They have actually responded!! I may get to put some of the swc's there!! They are pretty cool. We'll see... I could start my seedlings tomorrow!!! I could have tomatoes in May!! Now watch, they'll say no for some crazy insurance reason and I'll be sad and weepy.

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ah......Now my day is complete. Thanks, Granny!

Carolyn - that's awesome! Maybe they will go through with the deal.

EG

Sponsored