Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
szrr

2012 SFG - looking for critique

szrr
12 years ago

this is my 2012 sfg plan; i've done sfg for a few years but only on a small scale. i now have a community garden plot of 10'x10 with great sun,, and i'd really appreciate any comments you may have with my plan. your help is verily appreciated :)

thankful,

mat

this is the link: https://sites.google.com/site/sfgftw/2012sfg-html

Comments (13)

• szrr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

here is the direct link, the above one is kinda cumbersome :)

Here is a link that might be useful: SFG1.pdf

• ralleia
    12 years ago

I think it looks quite good--the only question that I have is where north is, which is important for the vertically-grown plants.

If the tall plants (tomatoes in particular), but to a lesser extent cucumbers and peas end up on the south side they can cast a lot of shade on the other plants nearby. It's usually best to place them on the north side so they can grow up without shading any of their neighbors.

Tomatoes and pole beans get to be big plants and cast some pretty dense shade.

• szrr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

on left side of the layout is the north arrow... north is up. i tried to put taller stuff on the north side and when i didnt i tried to put some more shade tolerant plants in... do you think its ok? thanks for responding :)

• planleaf3
    12 years ago

in top left box you might want switch the onions with one of carrot squares. beans and onions don't do well together.

• szrr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oh thanks :-) i didn't know that... i had beans last year bythemselves, and they had a lot of bugs. i think thrips? i put the onions there as a pest deterant... is garlic or marigolds ok?

• basiladdict
    12 years ago

I planted marigolds last year all throughout my garden and it's the first time I've not had bugs. Maybe stick them into your four corners throughout. I found that even the ones that were completely taken over by tomato vines did fine. I don't think you can kill them. haha

• planleaf3
    12 years ago

garlic and marigold do not deter bean pests

• fuzzy
    12 years ago

If it were me, and you can reach in to access the beds from the outside edges of the plot, I'd nix one of the pathways. My 10x10 plot has an aisle up the middle like yours, but it ends after 6'. Creates a u-shaped gardening area with 4x10 + 4x10 + 2x4= 88 square feet of growing space.

By comparison, yours has 4 4x4= 64 square feet of growing space.

Just something to think about.

• planleaf3
    12 years ago

4 potatoes in 2 square foot is to close
    2 is max you can plant in that space.
    plus you need to use the special potato method

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    12 years ago

planleaf3 - What is the special potato method ??

• planleaf3
    12 years ago

yolos read the new edition of the book it is there clear as day. or you could do a web search

• snibb
    12 years ago

Just put 4 potatoes per square in. Make sure each potato has at least 2 eyes in them before planting. Plant, cover, water and watch them grow. You will get 5 pounds of potatoes per square. You dont need any special equipment. If you can find sinfo around here he can show you how to get even more than that.

• tuscanseed
    12 years ago

The 9 bush beans per square never worked out for me, as it was too congested and it left little air for the plants. Also, the bush beans needed support, and if not supported, they grew into themselves and powdery mildew started. I switched to 4 bush beans per square and that worked better. However, I've give up on bush beans and only do pole beans now.

Sponsored