Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aprilshomemade_gw

Composting in SFG

aprilshomemade
15 years ago

Hello,

I'm new to SFG and have several questions about making Mel's Mix.

1) I started a compost pile in November and have turned it once a week. This past month, I've turned it every 2-3 days. But it just doesn't seem to be 'getting ready'. It consists of cow manure, shredded leaves, hay, pine needles, shredded newspaper, and a little sawdust. It never seems to get hot or even warm in the middle. It doesn't get dry except on the outside. We had some ice about 2 months ago and it froze solid! So I couldn't turn it for a couple of weeks. Is this something you're suppose to start when the weather is warmer to help heat up the pile?

Here's a pic of the pile: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15405969@N07/3318350338/in/set-72157614589542064/

2) Since the pile is not ready for my cool season crops, I've started purchasing ready made compost, but can only find 3 types instead of the 5 Mel recommends. I have contacted all the places I know of in the Tulsa,OK area and the only 3 are manure, cotton bur, and mushroom compost. If those are the only 3, what % of each should I mix?

3) I was able to find vermiculite in medium grade instead of coarse. Is this sufficient?

thx in advance,

April in Owasso, OK

Comments (2)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio