Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
scarlet runner pole beans, how many squares

Posted by mgrinder BC, Canada (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 23, 10 at 0:11

Hi, first year square foot gardening.

I've been searching to find out how many scarlet runner pole beans to plant. Rather how many squares? I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I had one scarlet runner plant last year, and it was quite productive. The other plants were romano (7 plants) and we got a great deal of beans (romano). They were arranged in a row, and planted in dirt. No more of that, I'm doing square foot this year.

Based on this, though, Eight plants in one square seems like quite a bit. How many can I expect with one square of 8 bean plants? With two squares (16 plants). I am feeding two people, would like to have beans every other day, or every three days.

Can people tell me how many squares they plant, and what the yeild is like with that many beans?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: scarlet runner pole beans, how many squares

Last year I wigwammed 5 in a sq foot of the runners as they are pretty compact width wise, the official distance on my packet says 6 inches apart, so that would be 4 per Square foot, 5 worked well, and I am doing 6 this year, they get messy at the top when they run out of poles, but I kinda like the look and it's above my head, so not in the way, only down side is the slope of the poles is steep and so a little instable, towards the end of the session after a few high winds, but they hung in by their roots.

o
RE: scarlet runner pole beans, how many squares

I didn't grow scarlett runners but I did grow 2 squares (16 plants) of Kentucky Wonder pole beans last year. I harvested 10 pounds of beans from those 2 squares over the course of about 6-8 weeks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here