Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tenbabytoes_gw

Planting Tomatos In The Same Raised Bed - Diseased Soil?

tenbabytoes
13 years ago

Hi, I built my square foot garden 3 years ago. My mixture for my soil was compost (moo-nure & other blend of bagged compost, perlite, peat moss etc.) The first year I planted 6 tomato plants, 2 cucumbers, jalapeno & 2 red & green bell pepper plants. My garden blossomed and was abundant with vegetables (with the exception of the pepper plants, uggh, thats another post:) Toward the end of the summer, we got rain for a solid 6 days, heavy rain. My plants soon afterward started to turn yellow & brown with spots and it started with one plant and then another. It was the end of the summer. The following year, they started off great, then the yellow, brown & black came back again, killed all of my plants (which grew nicely for about a month and I got some tomatoes) Last year, it happened again. Someone once told me that you have to alternate your tomato plants every year - not to plant them in the same soil. Is this true? I am building another bed now so I can expand my gardening, should I just use this bed for peppers, zuchini, cucucmbers, japalenos etc? and use the new one for tomatos? Please help, I love my garden. I do not know if it is coincidence that we got all of that rain and it hasnt been the same since or if I keep getting one plant with a disease that totals my garden. thanks in advance, va beach va.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!