Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SFG use of nitrate of soda

Posted by soundside NC (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 10, 09 at 1:45

Hi everyone,
This is my first posting. I have three raised beds that I intended to be organic. Today my husband added 5 lbs of nitrae of soda to my beds. What do I do now? I have garlic that I planted last Fall and I just planted onions. Also growing are strawberries and sugar snaps and kale. Do I add compost or worm juice. I'm so upset about this nitrate of soda being added. Is it safe to eat the greens. I have potatoes and cabbage ready to plant. Do I go ahead and plant. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SFG use of nitrate of soda

>Is it safe to eat the greens

?????

Your husband applied an organic compound that provides nitrogen.

o

I'm so upset about this nitrate of soda being added.

Um...why?

Dan

o

Sounds like just another confused soul from all the useless drivel floating around about organics.

Your fine...at 16-0-0, a touch high for three small beds, but I think you'll do fine.

o

I agree, j, that some of the crops may not need that much N, but how is sodium nitrate not "organic" or "natural"? Is NaNO3 a petrochemical fertilizer manufactured via the energy-intensive Haber process, or is it a naturally-occurring mineral?

Dan

o

Your greens will love you for it. Your other crops may be a bit over leafy as a result, but it is not worth starting over by any means.

o

Posted by dan_staley USDA 5/S 2b (My Page) on Tue, Mar 10, 09 at 12:07

I agree, j, that some of the crops may not need that much N, but how is sodium nitrate not "organic" or "natural"? Is NaNO3 a petrochemical fertilizer manufactured via the energy-intensive Haber process, or is it a naturally-occurring mineral?
Dan

It's mined from what I understand. It's naturally occuring, and has been used for millenia. It's also known as Chilean saltpetre.

o

It's mined from what I understand. It's naturally occuring, and has been used for millenia. It's also known as Chilean saltpetre.

Exactly, jl.

Dan

o

Agree..."organic" doesn't mean much to me. Last I checked the symbol meant that it wasn't genetically modified, but doesn't tell me anything about the metals in the fertilizer or anything like that. Does anyone know if there are heavy metals in Nitrate of Soda and what brand are you talking about. (I couldn't find it in http://www.aapfco.org/metals.htm .) Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here