Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with seed starting/transplanting timing?

Posted by commgardener11 none (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 6, 11 at 1:50

I'm trying to come up with a schedule for things like starting seed indoors, succession planting, hardening off, transplanting, etc...

Are there any free "fill in the blank" schedulers out there that y'all like to use?

Is there really a big difference in 2 weeks succession between plants of the same variety vs. starting them at the same time?

Also, is hardening off time typically included in the instructions, "Start indoors 6-8 weeks before last spring frost"?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with seed starting/transplanting timing?

I'm a newbie so I can't really answer most of your questions, but I came across this article the other day with a helpful seed starting chart.

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Gardening Seed Starting Chart

o

[is hardening off time typically included in the instructions, "Start indoors 6-8 weeks before last spring frost"]
Yes it is.

[Is there really a big difference in 2 weeks succession between plants of the same variety vs. starting them at the same time?]
Yes, if you want a continuous crop of a specific item.

For example, I like fresh spinach and lettuce, if I plant seeds every week or two for 4-6 weeks I will have it available for a longer period of time.

It is really whatever your preference is.

o

I found a really nice form with all the "normal" plants for gardening listed it then goes further to show the zones and has a fill it in section for each one to answer when to start and when to harden off and transplant. It is from Mother Earth News and I am going to give it a try this year. I am trying to plant extra to take to my local farmers market and to get that much I need to start alot more seeds! I also want as many of the plants to be heirlooms so I have had my nose in the Baker's seed book everyday for the last few weeks!!! So many choices, it is like being at the candy counter as a kid. LOL The link is below hope it helps someone else.

Happy Gardening

Here is a link that might be useful: Mother Earth News Seed Starting Guide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here