Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angela12345_gw

Vermiculite Source List - Throughout USA

angela12345
14 years ago

I had a hard time finding vermiculite, so I have compiled a list of approximately 150 places throughout the US to help others find coarse vermiculite. Some of these places DO ship if needed. They all have or have been reported to have coarse vermiculite in 4 cu ft bags unless otherwise noted.

If you know of any places that are not listed or have prices on some that are missing prices, please post here and I will keep the list updated. All prices in the verified column are updated, but some of the reported prices are a couple years old and could have gone up. International sources welcome. Thanks !!

Vermiculite sources listed here . . .

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApbWjhk4wOGKdGtUMTBTQVRuZFBnWG5HRkhEZ2tGX3c&hl=en

"Mel's Mix" is the most common fill substance for square foot gardens and consists of a mixture of approximately equal parts of compost materials, durable "brown" organics for bulk & drainage, and a water retention substance. Mel's Mix, now being recommended by Mel Bartholomew via his website, is equal parts by volume of compost, peat moss, and coarse vermiculite. Mel recommends using compost from 5 different sources / brands to ensure getting a wide variety of nutrients for the plants (i.e. different brands/types of manure compost, mushroom compost, leaf compost, etc).

Comments (118)

• angela12345
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I could not figure out my password for the Vermiculite list. I finally have it back up and running !! I know I said in February that I was going to update the list, but now that I can get back into it, I will try to get this list updated ASAP : )

• LisaHE9168
    11 years ago

Hi,

I wanted to give an update about Griffin Greenhouse in Tewksbury, MA. I just got home from there today. They sell course vermiculite (product #: 653116), a 6 cu ft bag for approximately $37. While you're there, you can also pick up peat moss and compost. Call before you go because they can't keep up with the vermiculite demand!

Thanks for keeping this information up to date!

Here is a link that might be useful: Griffin Greenhouse

• zatil
    11 years ago

In Texas, Calloways sells 8-quart size bags for $6.99 :

http://www.calloways.com/does-calloways-carry-vermiculite

Addison Nursery
    14120 Marsh Lane, at Spring Valley
    Arlington Nursery
    4940 South Cooper, 1/2-mile south of I-20
    1424 N. Center Street, at Road to Six Flags
    Dallas Nursery
    7410 North Greenville Avenue, near Walnut Hill
    Denton Nursery
    1601 Dallas Drive, Northwest of Golden Triangle Mall
    Duncanville Nursery
    723 South Cockrell Hill Road, at Wheatland
    Flower Mound Nursery
    2901 Long Prairie Road, south of Firewheel Dr.
    Fort Worth Nursery
    2651 South Hulen, at Stonegate Boulevard
    Hurst Nursery
    760 Grapevine Highway, north of Precinct Line Road
    Lewisville Nursery
    423 East Round Grove Rd., near Vista Ridge Mall
    McKinney Nursery
    4050 West Eldorado Parkway, between Lake Forest Drive and Hardin Boulevard
    Mesquite Nursery
    4220 North Galloway Road, at I-30

Plano Nurseries
    1000 Preston Road,
    1621 Custer Road, at 15th
    2460 State Highway 121, 1/2-mile east of Independence Parkway
    Richardson Nursery
    2100 North Plano Road, near Campbell
    Southlake Nursery
    291 E. Southlake Blvd. near White Chapel Blvd.

• rageear
    11 years ago

I called around to some of the nurseries/garden stores in my area. Most of them appear to usually carry vermiculite.

Groton Nursery - Groton, MA - out of stock
    Townsend Farmer's Exchange - Townsend, MA - 1 cu. ft. @ ~$15
    Cataldo's Gift & Garden - Littleton, MA - 2 cu. ft. @ ~$25

• socal_mtngal
    11 years ago

Purchased a 3.5 cu/ft. bag of Thermo-Rock West, Inc. vermiculite last July 2011 from Simpson's, and paid $22.50.
    This was a medium-course grade, better than the fine stuff at Home Depot, and at about 2/3 the cost.

Simpson's Garden Town Nursery
    13925 Campo Rd.
    Jamul, CA 91935
    (619) 669-1977
    www.simpsonsnursery.com
    Hours: 9-5, closed Tues.

• socal_mtngal
    11 years ago

Sorry Folks,
    Simpson's nursery is closed. Just stopped there on Sunday, and found out they've retired. So sad...the best nursery in the entire region.

• martysocal
    11 years ago

If you can please add columns for (a) date of entry (b) price per cu and (c) shipping (yes/no).

For example, greenhousemegastore.com is located in Danville, IL but they ship as well.

They sell 4cf coarse vermiculite for $24 (up from $20 on your spreadsheet) + $15 shipping fixed per bag + tax (?% Illinois, ?% Indiana, 7.25% in California and ?% Washington State), or about $40 shipped. Reasonable price for my area.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/vermiculite-4-cubic-foot-bag/seed-starting

• Moz Tn
    11 years ago

Thanks Lisa! I called Griffin and they said that they have coarse vermiculite available in store, but their website does not list coarse vermiculite (that particular item number - 653116) I hope when I drive there tomorrow .. they actually have that and not the fine/medium that are listed on the website. If they dont have coarse, should I go with medium or wait to get coarse?

• martysocal
    11 years ago

California: Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH) has 87 stores in California. They raised the price for coarse vermiculite to $18.99/2cf.

The SKU is 2937647 (last digit is 7; previously said 6).

You can contact OSH and request to have the product placed on hold. If you request 10, they will get you 10, so be prepared to give an (1) actual quantity, (2) store address, (3) your name and phone number (you get a call when truck arrives), and (4) date you plan to pick it up.

Contact the store or, much better, "OSH.Replen" followed by "@osh.com"

• Healdsburger
    11 years ago

re: Santa Rosa (Sonoma County) sources of vermiculite

Orchard Supply - only available in 2 cu.ft. bags ($18.98/bag)
    Friedman's - available in both 3.5 cu ft ($25.98) and 2 cu ft ($14.98, if my memory serves) sizes.

• vanest
    11 years ago

Suffolk County on Long Island in NY

2 cf $20
    Olsens Discount Nurseries
    386 Lake Ave S.
    Nesconset
    631-265-8093

• martysocal
    11 years ago

Healdsburger, use OSH's $10 off 30 exp June 10 and "We Pay the Sales Tax," going on until Monday, May 28.

Here is a link that might be useful: $10 off 30 exp June 10, 2012

• burtoncoleman
    11 years ago

SE Tennessee/N Mississippi

Russell's Farm Supply
    136 South Center Street
    Collierville, TN 38017
    901-853-2170

~$22/ 4cu ft coarse vermiculite

Great folks at Russell's!!

• chibibarako
    11 years ago

The Illinois locations for Brew & Grow www.altgarden.com seem to have an invalid link. Try http://www.altgarden.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=vermiculite.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brew & Grow: Search -- Vermiculite

• TheKitchenette
    11 years ago

Purchased medium-grind vermiculite from Griffin in Richmond, VA for $36.00/6 cubic feet. They did also offer coarse vermiculite and fine vermiculite, but I opted for medium-grind as the coarse was VERY large pieces, like 1/2 inch pieces.

Cross Creek Nursery in Midlothian, VA (http://www.crosscreeknursery.com/) also sells vermiculite for $40/4 cubic feet. Both of these prices are as of June 2012.

• LilBlossom
    11 years ago

The vermiculite from Menards is 100% horticultural grade according to their website. (http://www.sungro.com/products_displayProduct.php?product_id=49&brand_id=5) Even though it is found in the insulation section. It's around $15 / 3 cu feet bags now.

• MickEmery
    11 years ago

After researching, I contacted this co. If anyone, nearby, wants to share...(I'm in Needmore, PA)
    Hi Mick,

We sell our expanded #3 vermiculite is 60 cubic-foot totes. Each filled tote weighs approximately 350 pounds and sits on a 40" by 40" pallet. The filled tote is about 45" tall. We do not weigh each tote as we fill it, we just stuff as much vermiculite in as we can. Over time some settling may occur. Each tote costs $140, cash only. If you would like to purchase a few bags, I will need a couple of business-days lead time to pull a few bags for you. The pick up location is in the town of Louisa, not at our mine site.

Let me know if you need more information.

Regards,
    Dianna
    Dianna Jablonski
    Virginia Vermiculite LLC
    Ph: 540-967-2266
    Fax: 540-967-2803
    dianna@virginiavermiculite.com

• RTThomas
    11 years ago

February 3, 2013

Checking for vermiculite near Newark, Ohio today I contacted the local HOME DEPOT. Thermo-rock brand, coarse grade, in 2 Cubic Foot bags is on sale for $16.97 per bag -- Online Only! When you buy $45.00 of product they will ship it at no charge to your door. Mfg. # 489701, Part # 700777

• japus
    11 years ago

I picked up 3 bags of vermiculite today at our local Agway store.
    $24.00 each
    4 sq ft bags, they will be getting more in soon.

Returned it today for a refund, it was fine or medium.
    They are able to order course vermiculite.
    Try any farm, garden centers, they have catalogs that may be ordered from

This post was edited by japus on Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 13:32

• Ray Scheel
    11 years ago

Mick: That is a very good deal.

Take note folks, if you live within striking distance of Louisa, VA and can put together a few folks to split an order of a couple totes.

If you have a different vermiculite mine nearer to you, ask if they might have a similar deal.

Even I (an admitted skeptic on needing much vermiculite in the mix) might even put vermiculite straight in a new bed at a significant ratio if I could get it at that price + my share of a few hours of gas for a pickup & trailer.

• hidesertca
    11 years ago

San Bernardino County, California

Carl Herbolts Nursey, hesperia $45/4cu. ft
    Thompson Building Supplies Fontana, Ca $30/3.5cu ft
    Sunshine Growers $30/3.5cu ft

• brittanyw
    11 years ago

Calloway's in Arlington, TX (the north location) sells the 4 cu ft bags for about $36. Ack.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calloway's website

• cancelthisaccountplease
    10 years ago

In Lexington KY, Fayette Seed has vermiculite at $22.95 for four cubic feet. This is an increase over what's in the spreadsheet. Location 731 Red Mile Rd. 859-255-3334.

In Versailles KY, Woodford Feed has vermiculite at $20 for four cubic feet. This store is accessible to Lexingtonians: it's on Versailles Rd before you reach Versailles downtown. 859-309-7970

These prices are as of 4/15/2013.

• jimejim
    10 years ago

Some pricing updates from Torrance, CA (some of these places mentioned before, but the prices went up in most cases).

I ended up grabbing some from McConkey in Garden Grove since the 6cu bags were reasonable and I can run down to pick them up at the store.

greenhousemegastore.com
    http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/vermiculite-4-cubic-foot-bag/seed-starting
    - $24 Coarse 4cf + tax and shipping
    - they were the cheapest I could find once shipping was included.
    Uline
    - $34 for 4cu (but shipping is more expensive, so use if you have a local pickup location, like the one in Ontario)

Local around Torrance (for Coarse grade)
    Armstrong Torrance
    http://www.armstronggarden.com/pages/torrance
    - Coarse 3.5cf 34.99

Whittier Fertilizer (not far from Downtown Los Angeles)
    www.whittierfertilizer.com
    9441 Kruse Road Pico Rivera, CA 90660
    (562) 699-3461
    3cu $24 (above it says 3.5, but the guy on phone said 3cu, so either it changed or he was wrong).

McConkey
    coarse 6cu
    http://mcconkeyco.com/products/vermiculite-2-coarse
    6cu $47.45 = 7.90/cf (older note has it cheaper, but price went up).
    3x6 = 18cu = 142.35
    12321 Western Avenue â¨
    Garden Grove, California 92841-2989 ⨠(714) 894-0581 ⨠Walk in hours: 10:00am - 2:00pm ⨠Will call hours: 8:00am 4:00pm

This place was a decent balance between cost and distance for me since I could just pick it up myself.

Medium grade (if you need it, since many only offer that in-store here)
    Yamada Co (Gardena)
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/yamada-co-gardena
    - Medium 4cu $20.95

Green Arrow Nursery (10 off coupons)
    Medium 3.8cu $33
    http://www.greenarrownurseries.com/current/
    Green Thumb
    Medium 3.8cu $21.99
    http://www.supergarden.com/locations.php

Osh
    8ct Medium $6.99
    2cu Medium $18.99

• a_str8
    10 years ago

Primex Garden Center in Glenside, PA charges $34.99 for 4cf

• toucan2
    10 years ago

Started raised bed gardening this year (newbie) and didn't know about Mel's SFG until after I got 11 small beds filled and planted. Wanting to adapt my beds to his standards, but couldn't locate the coarse vermiculite...locally/affordable anyway. HD was mentioned on his site as a source, so I checked it out. They had NO coarse grade, but for the price decided to settle for the medium grade. What I got was the FINE grade! So, buyer beware!
    When asked to review it, I left a negative one as it was NOT as represented online

Bottom line? HD rejected my review.....LOL
    Greenhousemegastore carries it, but I can't justify the shipping charges at this point in time. Que sera, sera.

• toucan2
    10 years ago

Started raised bed gardening this year (newbie) and didn't know about Mel's SFG until after I got 11 small beds filled and planted. Wanting to adapt my beds to his standards, but couldn't locate the coarse vermiculite...locally/affordable anyway. HD was mentioned on his site as a source, so I checked it out. They had NO coarse grade, but for the price decided to settle for the medium grade. What I got was the FINE grade! So, buyer beware!
    When asked to review it, I left a negative one as it was NOT as represented online

Bottom line? HD rejected my review.....LOL
    Greenhousemegastore carries it, but I can't justify the shipping charges at this point in time. Que sera, sera.

• TomNorthJersey
    10 years ago

Metropolitan Plant And Flower Exchange in Fort Lee, NJ usually has Vermiculite. From what I remember it was a 2 cu ft bag. It was in that first interior room just outside by the garden center cashier shed on the outside wall underneath where they have pest products.

The have a big 40% sale that usually starts in July and ends in August. I was hoping to get my component's for mel's mix then but I got side tracked.

I don't think they carry a lot of it. When I went to get some they were out so I don't remember the price.

Wound up buying the Sq Ft Potting Mix premade from the Home Depot in the Bronx Terminal Market near Yankee Stadium

• northwest37
    10 years ago

I found Coarse Grade Vermiculite in the 3.5 cu. ft. sized bags at Diamond in Grants Pass, Oregon for $31.99. Not a very good price but most everyone else only has the medium grade.

I am using a concrete mixer to make a special soil blend for my square foot garden that comes up off the ground on a 24 inch frame.

• maternut
    10 years ago

Any one from West Tennessee ever find large bags of vermiculite ? All I can find is small bags, too expensive.

• maternut
    10 years ago

Went to my local Co Op today and they had vermiculite in stock. Got me two, 4 cubic foot bags, for 25 dollars each.

• tsid10d
    9 years ago

Is this spreadsheet still being updated? Looks like the last posting was in 2010. If so, it would be helpful if there was a column to specify when an update was made.

Anyway, I called Progreen Plus in St Paul MN. They have 3.8 cubic ft of coarse vermiculite for $26.76. Also, via website Brew & Grow Minnesota at 8302 Hwy 65, Spring Lake Park MN 55432 $24.95 for 4 cf.

• tbick
    9 years ago

Another one for the list: Greenhouse Megastore. 4 cubic feet of course vermiculite for about $34/bag shipped ( I bought 3 bags, so the price may be different if you buy less because of shipping costs).

• planterjeff
    9 years ago

Atlanta Georgia, Lowes in Edgewood Shopping Center near little five has bags of course vermiculite for around $16.00. 1.5sq ft.

This post was edited by PlanterJeff on Wed, May 21, 14 at 9:59

• MikeMcM1956
    9 years ago

In Houston, TX:

Vermiculite Products
    3025 Maxroy St
    Houston, TX,77008
    Phone: 713-869-6663

Largest size is Grade 3, $15 for a 4cf bag. Discount for 10 bags and up. Cash only. They normally sell to industry and landscapers, but will sell single bags and small quantities to the general public.

• hienmade
    9 years ago

In Tewksbury, MA:

Griffin Greenhouse & Nursery Supplies
    1619 Main St
    Tel: 800-888-0054

Coarse (A4) vermiculite:
    4 cu ft: $26.11
    6 cu ft: $36.92

• rocky_op_ks
    9 years ago

In the Kansas City area:
    Grass Pad - $21.99 4 cuft medium
    Family Tree - $34.99 4 cuft coarse

• schneidk00
    9 years ago

in houston, tx:

Southwest Fertilizer (5828 Bissonnet Street):perlite 8qt / $7.29, vermiculite 8qt / $7.99, coarse vermiculite 4cuft $37.99, coarse perlite 4cuft $27.99

Lowe's Home Improvement (9640 Old Katy Road): vermiculite 8qt / $4.28

The Home Depot (1100 Lumpkin Road): vermiculite 2cuft / $20.97, perlite 8qt / $4.77, perlite coarse 2cuft / $16.97

• planterjeff
    9 years ago

The Atlanta Edgewood Lowes and really all Lowesjust stopped carrying Vermiculite as the company they used to supply it was bought out by another and they do not have a contract with Lowes yet.

• karenjoyce123
    8 years ago

Sacramento Ca Source of Horticultural Course vermiculite 4 cu ft. for $25.

3701 Seaport Blvd
    West Sacramento, CA 95691
    Phone: 1-888-281-9337 (Toll Free)

Greenhousemegastore.com

There is another location in IL but its already in the spreadsheet.

• Pyewacket
    8 years ago

I've given up on vermiculite. The so-called "coarse" stuff these days is always medium grade, whenever I come across it.

I use bark mulch instead. If you can get it graded and delivered, that's probably your best bet, but I've had to use the bagged stuff from Home Despot - not the dyed stuff, this is Mountain Magic Premium grind. There is a good bit of wood chips in there but it hasn't caused a problem. If you have the space, aging it for a few months before use is a good idea for any bark mulch you are going to use for raised beds or potting soil.

I live in a desert, there isn't a lot of choice for mulch here.

• japus
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I did not see this link posted above.

A U.S. list of vermiculite suppliers in each state.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17MoZex4Hg0HyT75bSKn-1leQNG153RBvxkb5WggatmE/edit?hl=en&pli=1#gid=0

extra course vermiculite is also available, however I think it needs to be ordered. My best method of purchasing vermiculite is the local mom & pop farm supply houses.

They are local, have access to distributors, and eager for your business.

• YiYi Guthrie
    8 years ago

www.7springsfarm.com

they have 4 cu. ft. for 19.XX and have locations all around SW Virginia

• sean_h_murphy
    8 years ago

Blue seal stores in NH, VT, ME, NY, and CT sell vermiculite....

CT - Lichfield,
    ME - Bangor
    ME - Windham
    NH - Bow
    NH - Derry
    NH - Rochester
    NH - Milford
    NY - Fishkill
    NY - Watertown
    VT - Bennington
    VT - Brandon

bluesealstores.com

Not listed on the website, but they DO have it.

• falcon5105
    7 years ago

Anyone using vermiculite from Menards?

Menards Vermiculite

• japus
    7 years ago

Go to local farm & garden shops, ask them is they can order vermiculite for you. They all have a network of distributors who probably handle it.

• falcon5105
    7 years ago

Checked with one of them. It's $39.99 before tax for a 4 cu.ft coarse one. I was thinking that's on the expensive side.

• falcon5105
    7 years ago

Could you add this store to the list? They are selling 4 cu.ft is $29.99

Hillside Feed & Seed Store

1805 S Hillside St, Wichita, KS 67211

Phone:(316) 685-7361

• japus
    7 years ago

Falcon5105...That's an outrageous price, probably a 100% mark up...in my opinion, any price up to $30.00 per 4 cubic foot bag is fair. I order mine from a local farm % supply shop for $24.00 per bag. I'm guessing at between $15.00 and $18.00 per bag on the wholesale market...That's just my take.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA