Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vermiculite Source List - Throughout USA

Posted by angela12345 7b NC Mixed-Humid (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 2:26

I had a hard time finding vermiculite, so I have compiled a list of approximately 150 places throughout the US to help others find coarse vermiculite. Some of these places DO ship if needed. They all have or have been reported to have coarse vermiculite in 4 cu ft bags unless otherwise noted.

If you know of any places that are not listed or have prices on some that are missing prices, please post here and I will keep the list updated. All prices in the verified column are updated, but some of the reported prices are a couple years old and could have gone up. International sources welcome. Thanks !!

Vermiculite sources listed here . . .
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApbWjhk4wOGKdGtUMTBTQVRuZFBnWG5HRkhEZ2tGX3c&hl=en

"Mel's Mix" is the most common fill substance for square foot gardens and consists of a mixture of approximately equal parts of compost materials, durable "brown" organics for bulk & drainage, and a water retention substance. Mel's Mix, now being recommended by Mel Bartholomew via his website, is equal parts by volume of compost, peat moss, and coarse vermiculite. Mel recommends using compost from 5 different sources / brands to ensure getting a wide variety of nutrients for the plants (i.e. different brands/types of manure compost, mushroom compost, leaf compost, etc).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vermiculite Source List - Throughout USA

Nischwitz in South Plainfield, NJ, sells their bags for $19.99 as recently reported on this forum. I'm going to WH Milikowski in Piscataway, NJ, today and will report back with their current price. Was $13.15 last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden blog

o

WH Milikowski's prices went up a bit. Now $15.25 per 4cuft bag. Still a good deal though.

o

Where is Milikowski's? I'm from Piscataway and haven't heard of them.

o

Angela12345....

You GO! Girl!!!! (Learned that from watching Oprah....)

Great Work, and thanks for sharing your Collective Labor in gathering all that info...

I posted a Link to this thread in Mel's SFG Website forum and credited you for your work!

o

Ten_steps, Milikowski is a wholesale warehouse in the industrial area of Piscataway (off S. Randolph Rd), but they'll write up sales for individual bags (I bought 4 bags last year and 4 this year) if you show up at their office. Just call ahead first to make sure they have some in.

W H Milikowski, 42 Colonia Dr, Piscataway, NJ 08854. Phone: 1-866-465-9004

o

I have made the updates above. Thanks !

rds1955, thanks for the kudos. : )
If you will ask boffer to email me thru this forum, I will take his list and combine with what I have to make accessible for all.

o

• Posted by keski 6, Rochester, NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 11, 10 at 7:53

Angela,
If you want to add another source to your spreadsheet for Rochester, NY, I found coarse vermiculite at Rosie's Harris Seeds in Penfield, NY (a suburb of Rochester). She sold a 4 cubic foot bag for $25 last year.
Keski

o

Thanks keski. Can you give me an address and/or a phone number, please. I cannot find them on a google search.

o

Fredericksburg, Va- Roxbury Farms (on Lafayette downtown) has the 4 cu ft bags for $24.

o

There is a Milikowski in Lancaster, PA as well. As mentioned, they are a wholesaler, but will sell as few as a single bag, if you show up!

Very nice people.

o

I found vermiculite in the Chicagoland area at Menards. 3 cu ft. bags for $10.99, in the insulation isle NOT the garden center. It doesn't say what grade it is on the bag. The Menards I went to is the one in Glendale Heights.

o

Hanna Garden Center in Birmingham AL, on Hwy 280 near Greystone, has 4 cu ft. bags for 24.99. Also, Sunshine Garden Center in Sylacauga has the 8 quart bags for 6 or 7 bucks. Though I'm not sure what to do with an 8 quart bag lol :)

I got these prices by calling the stores directly.

o

Huntsville, AL area:

Limestone Co-op (south side of Athens) - $18.99
Madison County Co-op (I think up near Meridianville/Hazel Green?) - roughly $15.50 - you have to order it though
C.T. Garvin Feed and Seed (downtown Huntsville) - $18.35
Bennett's Nursery - roughly $25

All prices are for a 4cf bag. I got mine at Limestone Co-op since it was closest, and they had it in stock. It was the "very coarse" version.

o

In Wisconsin, I've always bought vermiculite at Jung's Garden Centers (5 locations, Stevens Point, Randolph, in and around Madison). Don't remember how much I paid last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jung's Garden Centers

o

you can add Watson's Home and Garden Center in Towson MD

o

Updates above have been made.

I have added a couple worksheets to the source list. One sheet will cover links to extraordinarily useful websites (at least I think they are). The other sheet will have links for cheap places to order nylon trellis netting. Please feel free to contribute suggestions to these as well. I am going to reserve the right to over-rule gardening links to only include the best ones. Any google search will pull up millions of hits for gardening websites and I don't want to try to replicate google, lol.

Any other worksheets you would like to see ?

o

Tulsa OK, Stringer Nursery. Approx $20 for 2 cubic feet

o

Menard's in MN/midwest sells it for 9.00 for a huge 3 foot bag. It's in the insulation section.

o

Ordered a 4 cu ft bag from Mid-State Farmer's Co-op in Columbiana, AL for $18.

o

thanks ! updates above have been made.

o

Vermiculite is available at Agway in Tilton,NH and Plymouth, NH for $20.00 for 4 cu. ft. Thanks for the source list.

o

Midwest Hydroponics in St. Louis Park (suburb of Minneapolis) has 4 cu ft of vermiculite for $19.95

o

Ellison Feed and seed Store Norman Oklahoma around $30

o

Thanks again. You guys rock. Updates above have been added.

o

I can verify that Armstrong Garden Center in Claremont CA (just off Foothill) had a huge pallet of coarse 3.5 cu.ft. bags last weekend - $29.95

And Flowerdale Nursery, Santa Ana, Ca (22 fwy & Tustin Ave) had 3.5 cu.ft. bags of coarse as well but a bit higher at $35.95. Supply was low but he said he gets a load in every couple weeks so call before going.

o

The best price we could find for 2 cu ft bags in Lower Bucks County, PA was $24.99 at
Feeneys
1134 Bustleton Pike
Feasterville, PA 19053

Here is a link that might be useful: Feeneys

o

W H Milikowski today advised me by phone that they have closed the NJ warehouse and do not have the vermiculite. The lady did say it could be shipped from Conn.

o

I found two suppliers in the Chicago area who carry 4 cu foot bags of vermiculite for $20:

Anton Greenhouse
1126 Pitner Avenue
Evanston, IL 60202-1047
(847) 864-1134

Meinke Garden Center
5803 W Touhy Ave
Niles, IL 60714
(847) 647-9455

o

Al's Garden Center in Sherwood, Oregon (just outside Portland).

o

Al's Garden Center in Sherwood, Oregon (just outside Portland).

o

I have not updated the list yet with these latest couple of suppliers, but just wanted to let you know I have not forgotten about them. Will get to them soon, have been very busy IRL and have not been able to come into the forum much at all in about a month.

o

Bunton Seed in Louisville, KY

Here is a link that might be useful: Bunton Seed

o

Co-op growers cooperative in Tabernacle NJ

On Route 206

Here is a link that might be useful: Co-op Growers

o

are there any in the *** 716 *** area code?

I buy from a wholesaler but with these prices maybe they don't want my business anymore, so won't mention the name at this time! I will post a couple other items too, let me know if hi or lo or your price to try to counter them:

Course Vermiculite 4 cu ft

1-9 bags - $22.69/bag
10-29 bags - $19.20/bag
30-89 bags - $17.34/bag

Medium Perlite 4 cu ft

1-9 bags - $17.24/bag
10-29 bags - $14.58/bag
30-89 bags - $13.17/bag

Fafard peat moss 3.8 bales

1-9 bales $14.80/bale
10-29 bales - $12.52/bale
30-89 bales - $11.80

Premier Pro Mix BX 3.8 bales

1-9 bales - $33.45/bale
10-29 bales - $28.30/bales
30-89 bales - $26.66/bales

Fafard #2 3.8 bales (similar to Pro Mix or Metro Mix)

1-9 bales - $30.78/bale
10-29 bales - $26.04/bale
30-89 bales - $24.53/bale

o

Mornings Nursery 29 Palms CA 92277 about $23 for a large bag if I remember correctly.

o

Just wanted to give you a BIG thank you for all of your hard work to help everyone with this problem.

I now have several sources here in Central Virginia - Thanks to you!

Coarse vermiculite was impossible to find here last fall.

Betty

o

This is amazing! THANK YOU to you for doing this! I can confirm that IFA in Utah consistently carries vermiculite, but I think the price has increased from the one listed on the spreadsheet.

o

In New Jersey, Ferris Farms Agway in East Brunswick, NJ carries coarse vermiculite in 4 cubic foot bags for $19.99 as of 1/30/2011.

o

Another source in Tulsa OK (much cheaper than Stringer Nurseries I previously listed)

4 cubic feet $13
Independent Material Company
34 North Owasso Avenue

Jo

o

Anyone know of a place in the Gulf Coastal region? Anywhere between New Orleans to Pensacola is fine by me. I'm in Mobile, if there is one I missed.

I can't find ANY and the shipping is just too much to bear to buy online.

o

Aha. Sadly it looks like this has been abandoned. joellenh and NJGardenGuy's updates never made it to the list.

Anyone willing to take it up and keep it current? I'd volunteer, but I'm not too good at staying consistent myself. Lol!

o

Farm and garden supply on Pine Forest Rd, in Pensacola has a good supply. They are just south of I-10, on the left just before you get to the racetrack.

Hall's Ace hardware in Milton, Fla. also has it.

OB in Pace

o

After days of searching, I found a vermiculite source in Kentucky.

Frank Otte Nursery
1721 Ring Rd
Elizabethtown, KY 42701
(270) 737-3352

bags are 4 cu ft and about $27. They also have about 6 more stores in the Louisville area that would have vermiculite as well, I'm guessing.

Hope this helps someone! I went to SO many places!

o

i just got a fantastic source of vermiculite in the Cincinnati, Ohio area. Check with Chase at Newtown Feed (see http://newtownfeed.com/). I emailed him and he sourced 4 cubic foot bags for $14.99

o

In the St. Louis area, coarse vermiculite is available at:

Valley Park Elevator & Hardware
2 Marshall Road
Valley Park, MO 63088-1601
(636) 225-7100

I bought a 4 cu ft bag there last week. I believe that it was $17.99/bag.

o

In Owensboro, Ky. Integrity Lawn and Landscaping 4cubic ft bags $25.99

o

I just found vermiculite in the 4 cubic foot bags at Brandt's Hardware in Lebanon, OH, for $20.99 each.

o

Thanks I went to Griffin in Richmond, VA and got the 6 cf bags of A2 African vermicullite for $22. You really helped me out.

o

In the Gulfport/Biloxi area, Sunshine premium grade coarse Vermiculite is available for $19.95/4 CF at:
Coastline Farm and Garden Supply
11548 Dedeaux Road
Gulfport, MS 39503
228-832-5555 for $19.95 per 4 Cubic Ft.

They do not have a website, and only stock a limited supply, but can get it within a few days.

o

www.steinhausers.com
Locations: Outskirts of Houston
4c.f. bag for 22.99

Here is a link that might be useful: Steinhausers

o

I went to the local Hewitt's and found 1 cubic foot bags for about $17. I then found this thread and the accompanying spreadsheet. I contacted Griffin's Greenhouse in Schenectady, NY and ordered 3 bags of 6 cubic foot coarse vermiculite - total with tax $94.12 - which would be $31.37 per 6 cf bag including tax. Thanks for compiling this resource!!!

o

Please add my name to the list of sources for coarse vermiculite in Central New Jersey. I will sell 4 cu ft bags of horticultural coarse vermiculite by appointment to Square Foot Gardeners.
I'm in Burlington, NJ, near Exit 5 on the NJ Turnpike. Prices will vary, but will either match or be lower than Agway. I can be reached by phone at 609 267-3562 from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. If no answer, please leave a message with your phone nr and I'll return the call.

o

Hi everyone, Sorry to have abandoned you last year. We built a house and it took every moment of my time (in addition to my full time job) and felt like I was always behind trying to catch up the whole time we were building. We didn't even have a garden last year. Waaaaah !!

I am going to try to get this list updated over the weekend. : )

o

Knoxville, TN

Mayo's Garden Center has vermiculite (I think it's fine/medium, though). They say it goes quickly, so you need to stop by frequently. I think I paid just under $20 for a 4 cu.ft. bag. They also carry perlite, FWIW.

http://mayogardencenter.info/index.php?osCsid=0ae4935229419cca6c11e61351f388db

o

• Posted by empet 6 - MA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 11, 12 at 18:25

In Massachusetts:
I just picked up a 4cf bag from Kanes Flower World, 64 Andover St. Danvers, MA (map) (978) 774-6911. No website that I've found. This was $39 for a 4cf bag... at least I'm pretty sure it's 4cf from the measurements, the the label only give weight (23lb) not volume. So this isn't a huge bargain.
Home Depot's website was listing 2CF bag for $20 when I searched today, but not in-store anywhere near me- but free shipping for >$45 order (what the heck? sounds like a terrible business plan). An approximately equivalent price, then, but I figured I'd put my money into local commerce.

o

Thanks for the list. I will give Orchard Supply Hardware (Nasdaq:OSH) a call tomorrow to confirm the price in your spreadsheet. You may want to add a column for "as of date." They sometimes have tax holiday weekends and 15% off coupons that cushion the price.

There is a store in Chino, California, 10 minutes from Ontario Airport but 45 minutes east of Los Angeles (1.5hr with traffic) called O.F. Wolfinbarger, Inc (h/t urbanhomesteading) that carries 4cu for $35, according to their website's price list (ofwolfinbargerinc.com). If you can please add it.

They also have Perlite for $14/4cu and Peat Moss for $16/3.8cu.

I think for Peat Moss last year I paid at OSH $15/7.6cu. It is huge. It says 7.6cu ft, 97 dry qt, 214l. Lowes also had Peat Moss (smaller 3.0cu, but cost $9.74 locally per lowes.com) but Home Depot did not. I need to check prices because now that OSH is no longer part of Sears they may have smarten up and raised prices.

You already have Home Depot. If you can please update the price of vermiculite to $21/2cu. Not all stores carry it but homedepot.com (item# 202187625) is free shipping for orders over $45. If someone needs 2, order something for $3 to qualify for free shipping or you need just 1 then get something to reach $45 and return the extra item(s) to the store.

o

Los Angeles: OSH has them for $18, confirming your spreadsheet. Home Depot is $21. I called Lowes and they do not carry the larger bags, so emailed the company and asked them to either have the larger bags in-store or offer it as a special order.

Another store in Los Angeles that carries it is Anawalt Lumber, $25/2cu through anawaltlumber.com with free ship-to-store.

Anawalt has three California locations a few miles from each other, Los Angeles, Hollywood and West Hollywood/Beverly Hills.

Another place is doitbest.com, same $25/2cu. This one is national. The site represents 4000 independent stores, including Anawalt.

Here is a link that might be useful: Contact Lowes

o

I just got off the phone with two stores in/around Los Angeles.

1) Armstrong Garden Center in Santa Monica, CA has 3.5cu, at $34.99. Please update the price (was $30).

2) Green Arrow Nursery / Green Thumb in North Hills, CA (in the valley, near 405 b/w 101 and 118, next to Van Nuys Airport) has the 3.5cu, at $33.59. Please add the price.

o

Los Angeles area
Anawalt: $21/2cu ($25 online)
Home Depot: $21/2cu ($22 online)
OSH: $18/2cu or less with $5 off 25 coupon and tax-free weekends
Lowes: n/a.

Regarding OSH and Peat Moss, they no longer carry 3.9cu that expands to 7.6cu at $16 (was $15). They recently switched to 2cu for $11, which is ((11/2)/(16/3.9))-1 or 35% increase in price.

Added a link to OSH coupon. To get a different expiration date, change the link number from 120318 (exp April 8) to 120408 (exp Apr 29), 120429 (exp May 20), 120520 (exp Jun 10), or 120610 (exp Jun 29).

Here is a link that might be useful: OSH $5 off 25, ex April 8, 2012

o

Got some prices for vermiculite in Maine yesterday. My local Agway is selling 4 cu ft bags for 29.99, long fellows green house in Manchester is selling 6 cu ft bags for 32.99, griffins nursery supply in Gray is selling 6 cu ft bags for 36.90, Skillings green house and nursery in Brunswick is selling 2 cu ft bags for 24.99, and paris farmers union in Portland is selling 2 cu ft bags for 24.99. Definitely pays to shop around for this stuff.

o

If you can please add columns for (a) date of entry and (b) price per cu. Prices are rising.

Whittier Fertilizer (not far from Downtown Los Angeles)
www.whittierfertilizer.com
9441 Kruse Road Pico Rivera, CA 90660
(562) 699-3461
What: Coarse, 3.5cu for $23.20; 23.2/3.5 = $6.62/cu + tax

Growers House
www.growershouse.com
227 E. Valencia #240
Tucson, AZ 85706
(855) 289-1441
What: Medium Coarse, 3.5cu for $19.82; 19.82/3.5c = $5.66/cu + tax if applicable. Add shipping cost if applicable.

bettergrowHYDRO (not far from downtown Los Angeles)
http://www.bghydro.com/
1271 E. Colorado Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91106
(626) 737-6612
What: two bags in pic, HD and OSH, not sure type. 6cu for $44.95; 44.95/6 = $7.49/cu + tax if applicable. Add shipping cost if applicable.

McConkey has 6cu coarse vermiculite but I do not have the price. It should be around $40.
http://www.mcconkeyco.com/product/vermiculite-2-coarse-trwvmic26
Sumner, Washington
Wilsonville, OR
Garden Grove, California

Grainger (388 locations as of Dec 31, per 10-K)
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/VERMICULITE-Vermiculite-Sorbent-3RPN9
What: Sun Gro IND GRADE#3, 4cu for $30.85; 30.85/4 or $7.71/cu + tax. You must call in to order. Shipping to store is free. I just spoke with their tech support who said that, according to their spreadsheet, #3 which they have a lot of is coarse grade, #2 which they have a few of but rarely ship is medium, and #4 they do not have and it is extra coarse.

As of this weekend, the cheapest I found was at OSH was 4cu for $18*20/25 (coupon) or $14.4 (assume tax-free weekend); 14.4/2 = $7.2. Whittier Fertilizer is 6.62 * 1.0875 = 7.20/cu after tax without coupons or waiting for tax-free weekend, so it is on top of my list at the moment.

o

McConkey coarse 6cu
http://www.mcconkeyco.com/product/vermiculite-2-coarse-trwvmic26
Garden Grove, California: $39.77 (/6 is $6.63/cu)
Wilsonville, Oregon: $43.21 (/6 is $7.20/cu)
Sumner, Washington: $45.96 (/6 is $7.66/cu)

ADDRESS, PHONE, HOURS
1615 Puyallup St.
P.O Box 1690
Sumner, Washington
98390-0369
(253) 863-8111
(800) 426-8124
Walk in hours: 9:00am -11:00am & 1:30pm - 3:30pm
Will call hours: 8:00am � 4:30pm

28055 SW Boberg Rd
Wilsonville, OR 97070
(503) 682-7174
Walk in hours: 9:00am -11:00am & 1:30pm - 3:30pm
Will call hours: 8:00am � 4:00pm

12321 Western Avenue
Garden Grove, California 92841-2989
(714) 894-0581
Walk in hours: 10:00am - 2:00pm
Will call hours: 8:00am � 4:00pm

o

This is somewhat related. It is a press release from October re the increased price of coarse vermiculite. I read in SFG forums that it is because of SFG demand, which is a stretch. "Growth in consumption of perlite and vermiculite has been dominated by Asia over the last five years, as construction levels in the more mature economies of Europe and North America have fallen." That increased demand, coupled with reduced supply, is what's causing the increase in price to a level where substitutes become more attractive.

Posted is the article, excerpts relate to supply of coarse vermiculite. You can read the rest of the press release in the link.

October 20, 2011

[...]

New Vermiculite Suppliers Boost Availability, but Market Increasingly Reliant on China for Coarse Grades

Prices for coarse grade material, which is in short supply due to declining output from Palabora in South Africa, have risen most sharply.

Vermiculite supply from new producers, such as Gulf Industrials in Uganda and Brazil Min�rios, should offset future declines in output from Palabora and meet forecast growth in demand. However, the availability of coarse material will remain constrained due to only small amounts of coarse grade material being supplied from these new mines. Unless more consistent supply from China is forthcoming, consumers will have to substitute coarser grades for finer grades or be forced to accept increasingly higher prices.

[...]

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to PR for Ultralightweight Aggregates: Global industry markets and outlook, 1st edition, 2011

o

Ferris Farm in East Brunswick, NJ is still selling 4 c.f. bags of coarse vermiculite for 19.99.

The Gardener's Nook (part of Spooky Brook Landscaping) in Somerset, NJ will order the big bags if someone needs them (forgot to ask the price though!).

Both of these also have many different types of compost at good prices, woohoo!

The Belle Mead Co-op in Hillsborough, NJ also has vermiculite, but it's 2 c.f. for 19.99. They deliver though, and they also have lots of composts as well as worm castings.

These were the only three places I could find in our area that carried big bags of vermiculite at a non-ridiculous price, and the ability to buy the composts at the same time was a huge bonus.

o

Suburban Lawn and Garden in the Kansas City area carries coarse and medium grade for around $22 per 4cf bag. They have 3 stores, 1 on the Missouri side, and 2 on the Kansas side.

Here is a link that might be useful: suburban lawn and garden - Kansas City

o

Los Angeles:
OSH has different prices depending on which store you go to.
1) OSH in Mid-City, 4801 W Venice Blvd (at LaBrea), (323) 930-6060, is $17.99/2cf
2) OSH in Hollywood, 5525 Sunset Blvd (at Western), (323) 871-1707, is $18.99/2cf

Vermiculite goes in and out of stock so you need to call to confirm availability. Call and ask for either Vermiculite or, if they do not understand, give the SKU: 2937646.

The cheapest peat moss in the Los Angeles area is probably Lowe's. If you search online for item# 322730, it is $9.74/3cf. Two items show up, both are listed as 3cf but one by Fafard has a picture of 3cf and one by Greensmix has a pictures of 3.8cf.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lowe's search for 322730

o

For Vermiculite in London, Ontario, Canada go to Van Luyk Greenhouses at 1728 Gore Road.

They sell 110 Litre (3.8 cubic feet) bags for $29.99 CDN (around same in USD).

Absolute best price I could find in town.

o

In southern middle Tennessee, Farmer's Co-Op has 4 cf bags for $23. The Co-Op is the only bulk retailer I could find within 75 mi radius of Sewanee, TN.

o

Well, I could not figure out my password for the Vermiculite list. I finally have it back up and running !! I know I said in February that I was going to update the list, but now that I can get back into it, I will try to get this list updated ASAP : )

o

Hi,

I wanted to give an update about Griffin Greenhouse in Tewksbury, MA. I just got home from there today. They sell course vermiculite (product #: 653116), a 6 cu ft bag for approximately $37. While you're there, you can also pick up peat moss and compost. Call before you go because they can't keep up with the vermiculite demand!

Thanks for keeping this information up to date!

Here is a link that might be useful: Griffin Greenhouse

o

In Texas, Calloways sells 8-quart size bags for $6.99 :

http://www.calloways.com/does-calloways-carry-vermiculite

Addison Nursery
14120 Marsh Lane, at Spring Valley
Arlington Nursery
4940 South Cooper, 1/2-mile south of I-20
1424 N. Center Street, at Road to Six Flags
Dallas Nursery
7410 North Greenville Avenue, near Walnut Hill
Denton Nursery
1601 Dallas Drive, Northwest of Golden Triangle Mall
Duncanville Nursery
723 South Cockrell Hill Road, at Wheatland
Flower Mound Nursery
2901 Long Prairie Road, south of Firewheel Dr.
Fort Worth Nursery
2651 South Hulen, at Stonegate Boulevard
Hurst Nursery
760 Grapevine Highway, north of Precinct Line Road
Lewisville Nursery
423 East Round Grove Rd., near Vista Ridge Mall
McKinney Nursery
4050 West Eldorado Parkway, between Lake Forest Drive and Hardin Boulevard
Mesquite Nursery
4220 North Galloway Road, at I-30

Plano Nurseries
1000 Preston Road,
1621 Custer Road, at 15th
2460 State Highway 121, 1/2-mile east of Independence Parkway
Richardson Nursery
2100 North Plano Road, near Campbell
Southlake Nursery
291 E. Southlake Blvd. near White Chapel Blvd.

o

I called around to some of the nurseries/garden stores in my area. Most of them appear to usually carry vermiculite.

Groton Nursery - Groton, MA - out of stock
Townsend Farmer's Exchange - Townsend, MA - 1 cu. ft. @ ~$15
Cataldo's Gift & Garden - Littleton, MA - 2 cu. ft. @ ~$25

o

Purchased a 3.5 cu/ft. bag of Thermo-Rock West, Inc. vermiculite last July 2011 from Simpson's, and paid $22.50.
This was a medium-course grade, better than the fine stuff at Home Depot, and at about 2/3 the cost.

Simpson's Garden Town Nursery
13925 Campo Rd.
Jamul, CA 91935
(619) 669-1977
www.simpsonsnursery.com
Hours: 9-5, closed Tues.

o

Sorry Folks,
Simpson's nursery is closed. Just stopped there on Sunday, and found out they've retired. So sad...the best nursery in the entire region.

o

If you can please add columns for (a) date of entry (b) price per cu and (c) shipping (yes/no).

For example, greenhousemegastore.com is located in Danville, IL but they ship as well.

They sell 4cf coarse vermiculite for $24 (up from $20 on your spreadsheet) + $15 shipping fixed per bag + tax (?% Illinois, ?% Indiana, 7.25% in California and ?% Washington State), or about $40 shipped. Reasonable price for my area.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/vermiculite-4-cubic-foot-bag/seed-starting

o

Thanks Lisa! I called Griffin and they said that they have coarse vermiculite available in store, but their website does not list coarse vermiculite (that particular item number - 653116) I hope when I drive there tomorrow .. they actually have that and not the fine/medium that are listed on the website. If they dont have coarse, should I go with medium or wait to get coarse?

o

California: Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH) has 87 stores in California. They raised the price for coarse vermiculite to $18.99/2cf.

The SKU is 2937647 (last digit is 7; previously said 6).

You can contact OSH and request to have the product placed on hold. If you request 10, they will get you 10, so be prepared to give an (1) actual quantity, (2) store address, (3) your name and phone number (you get a call when truck arrives), and (4) date you plan to pick it up.

Contact the store or, much better, "OSH.Replen" followed by "@osh.com"

o

re: Santa Rosa (Sonoma County) sources of vermiculite

Orchard Supply - only available in 2 cu.ft. bags ($18.98/bag)
Friedman's - available in both 3.5 cu ft ($25.98) and 2 cu ft ($14.98, if my memory serves) sizes.

o

Suffolk County on Long Island in NY

2 cf $20
Olsens Discount Nurseries
386 Lake Ave S.
Nesconset
631-265-8093

o

Healdsburger, use OSH's $10 off 30 exp June 10 and "We Pay the Sales Tax," going on until Monday, May 28.

Here is a link that might be useful: $10 off 30 exp June 10, 2012

o

SE Tennessee/N Mississippi

Russell's Farm Supply
136 South Center Street
Collierville, TN 38017
901-853-2170

~$22/ 4cu ft coarse vermiculite

Great folks at Russell's!!

o

The Illinois locations for Brew & Grow www.altgarden.com seem to have an invalid link. Try http://www.altgarden.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=vermiculite.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brew & Grow: Search -- Vermiculite

o

Purchased medium-grind vermiculite from Griffin in Richmond, VA for $36.00/6 cubic feet. They did also offer coarse vermiculite and fine vermiculite, but I opted for medium-grind as the coarse was VERY large pieces, like 1/2 inch pieces.

Cross Creek Nursery in Midlothian, VA (http://www.crosscreeknursery.com/) also sells vermiculite for $40/4 cubic feet. Both of these prices are as of June 2012.

o

The vermiculite from Menards is 100% horticultural grade according to their website. (http://www.sungro.com/products_displayProduct.php?product_id=49&brand_id=5) Even though it is found in the insulation section. It's around $15 / 3 cu feet bags now.

o

After researching, I contacted this co. If anyone, nearby, wants to share...(I'm in Needmore, PA)
Hi Mick,

We sell our expanded #3 vermiculite is 60 cubic-foot totes. Each filled tote weighs approximately 350 pounds and sits on a 40" by 40" pallet. The filled tote is about 45" tall. We do not weigh each tote as we fill it, we just stuff as much vermiculite in as we can. Over time some settling may occur. Each tote costs $140, cash only. If you would like to purchase a few bags, I will need a couple of business-days lead time to pull a few bags for you. The pick up location is in the town of Louisa, not at our mine site.

Let me know if you need more information.

Regards,
Dianna
Dianna Jablonski
Virginia Vermiculite LLC
Ph: 540-967-2266
Fax: 540-967-2803
dianna@virginiavermiculite.com

o

February 3, 2013

Checking for vermiculite near Newark, Ohio today I contacted the local HOME DEPOT. Thermo-rock brand, coarse grade, in 2 Cubic Foot bags is on sale for $16.97 per bag -- Online Only! When you buy $45.00 of product they will ship it at no charge to your door. Mfg. # 489701, Part # 700777

o

I picked up 3 bags of vermiculite today at our local Agway store.
$24.00 each
4 sq ft bags, they will be getting more in soon.

Returned it today for a refund, it was fine or medium.
They are able to order course vermiculite.
Try any farm, garden centers, they have catalogs that may be ordered from

This post was edited by japus on Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 13:32

o

Mick: That is a very good deal.

Take note folks, if you live within striking distance of Louisa, VA and can put together a few folks to split an order of a couple totes.

If you have a different vermiculite mine nearer to you, ask if they might have a similar deal.

Even I (an admitted skeptic on needing much vermiculite in the mix) might even put vermiculite straight in a new bed at a significant ratio if I could get it at that price + my share of a few hours of gas for a pickup & trailer.

o

San Bernardino County, California

Carl Herbolts Nursey, hesperia $45/4cu. ft
Thompson Building Supplies Fontana, Ca $30/3.5cu ft
Sunshine Growers $30/3.5cu ft

o

Calloway's in Arlington, TX (the north location) sells the 4 cu ft bags for about $36. Ack.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calloway's website

o

In Lexington KY, Fayette Seed has vermiculite at $22.95 for four cubic feet. This is an increase over what's in the spreadsheet. Location 731 Red Mile Rd. 859-255-3334.

In Versailles KY, Woodford Feed has vermiculite at $20 for four cubic feet. This store is accessible to Lexingtonians: it's on Versailles Rd before you reach Versailles downtown. 859-309-7970

These prices are as of 4/15/2013.

o

Some pricing updates from Torrance, CA (some of these places mentioned before, but the prices went up in most cases).

I ended up grabbing some from McConkey in Garden Grove since the 6cu bags were reasonable and I can run down to pick them up at the store.

greenhousemegastore.com
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/vermiculite-4-cubic-foot-bag/seed-starting
- $24 Coarse 4cf + tax and shipping
- they were the cheapest I could find once shipping was included.
Uline
- $34 for 4cu (but shipping is more expensive, so use if you have a local pickup location, like the one in Ontario)

Local around Torrance (for Coarse grade)
Armstrong Torrance
http://www.armstronggarden.com/pages/torrance
- Coarse 3.5cf 34.99

Whittier Fertilizer (not far from Downtown Los Angeles)
www.whittierfertilizer.com
9441 Kruse Road Pico Rivera, CA 90660
(562) 699-3461
3cu $24 (above it says 3.5, but the guy on phone said 3cu, so either it changed or he was wrong).

McConkey
coarse 6cu
http://mcconkeyco.com/products/vermiculite-2-coarse
6cu $47.45 = 7.90/cf (older note has it cheaper, but price went up).
3x6 = 18cu = 142.35
12321 Western Avenue 

Garden Grove, California 92841-2989 
 (714) 894-0581 
 Walk in hours: 10:00am - 2:00pm 
 Will call hours: 8:00am 4:00pm

This place was a decent balance between cost and distance for me since I could just pick it up myself.

Medium grade (if you need it, since many only offer that in-store here)
Yamada Co (Gardena)
http://www.yelp.com/biz/yamada-co-gardena
- Medium 4cu $20.95

Green Arrow Nursery (10 off coupons)
Medium 3.8cu $33
http://www.greenarrownurseries.com/current/
Green Thumb
Medium 3.8cu $21.99
http://www.supergarden.com/locations.php

Osh
8ct Medium $6.99
2cu Medium $18.99

o

Primex Garden Center in Glenside, PA charges $34.99 for 4cf

o

Started raised bed gardening this year (newbie) and didn't know about Mel's SFG until after I got 11 small beds filled and planted. Wanting to adapt my beds to his standards, but couldn't locate the coarse vermiculite...locally/affordable anyway. HD was mentioned on his site as a source, so I checked it out. They had NO coarse grade, but for the price decided to settle for the medium grade. What I got was the FINE grade! So, buyer beware!
When asked to review it, I left a negative one as it was NOT as represented online

Bottom line? HD rejected my review.....LOL
Greenhousemegastore carries it, but I can't justify the shipping charges at this point in time. Que sera, sera.

o

Started raised bed gardening this year (newbie) and didn't know about Mel's SFG until after I got 11 small beds filled and planted. Wanting to adapt my beds to his standards, but couldn't locate the coarse vermiculite...locally/affordable anyway. HD was mentioned on his site as a source, so I checked it out. They had NO coarse grade, but for the price decided to settle for the medium grade. What I got was the FINE grade! So, buyer beware!
When asked to review it, I left a negative one as it was NOT as represented online

Bottom line? HD rejected my review.....LOL
Greenhousemegastore carries it, but I can't justify the shipping charges at this point in time. Que sera, sera.

o

Metropolitan Plant And Flower Exchange in Fort Lee, NJ usually has Vermiculite. From what I remember it was a 2 cu ft bag. It was in that first interior room just outside by the garden center cashier shed on the outside wall underneath where they have pest products.

The have a big 40% sale that usually starts in July and ends in August. I was hoping to get my component's for mel's mix then but I got side tracked.

I don't think they carry a lot of it. When I went to get some they were out so I don't remember the price.

Wound up buying the Sq Ft Potting Mix premade from the Home Depot in the Bronx Terminal Market near Yankee Stadium

o

I found Coarse Grade Vermiculite in the 3.5 cu. ft. sized bags at Diamond in Grants Pass, Oregon for $31.99. Not a very good price but most everyone else only has the medium grade.

I am using a concrete mixer to make a special soil blend for my square foot garden that comes up off the ground on a 24 inch frame.

o

Any one from West Tennessee ever find large bags of vermiculite ? All I can find is small bags, too expensive.

o

Went to my local Co Op today and they had vermiculite in stock. Got me two, 4 cubic foot bags, for 25 dollars each.

o

Is this spreadsheet still being updated? Looks like the last posting was in 2010. If so, it would be helpful if there was a column to specify when an update was made.

Anyway, I called Progreen Plus in St Paul MN. They have 3.8 cubic ft of coarse vermiculite for $26.76. Also, via website Brew & Grow Minnesota at 8302 Hwy 65, Spring Lake Park MN 55432 $24.95 for 4 cf.

o

Another one for the list: Greenhouse Megastore. 4 cubic feet of course vermiculite for about $34/bag shipped ( I bought 3 bags, so the price may be different if you buy less because of shipping costs).

o

Atlanta Georgia, Lowes in Edgewood Shopping Center near little five has bags of course vermiculite for around $16.00. 1.5sq ft.

This post was edited by PlanterJeff on Wed, May 21, 14 at 9:59

o

In Houston, TX:

Vermiculite Products
3025 Maxroy St
Houston, TX,77008
Phone: 713-869-6663

Largest size is Grade 3, $15 for a 4cf bag. Discount for 10 bags and up. Cash only. They normally sell to industry and landscapers, but will sell single bags and small quantities to the general public.

o

In Tewksbury, MA:

Griffin Greenhouse & Nursery Supplies
1619 Main St
Tel: 800-888-0054

Coarse (A4) vermiculite:
4 cu ft: $26.11
6 cu ft: $36.92

o

In the Kansas City area:
Grass Pad - $21.99 4 cuft medium
Family Tree - $34.99 4 cuft coarse

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here