Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
connieconsumer

Vermiculite particle size

connieconsumer
15 years ago

I finally found 4 cft. bags of vermiculite and the particle size is entsy tiny! Fine like sand and shiny. Will this do the job?

Comments (13)

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Best to find course or medium grade for water retention. I know it is hard to find some places, but keep looking.

• daves_girl
    15 years ago

Where in GA are you located? I found the course grade at a local feed store, but I also saw some at an Ace Hardware. The feed store price was significantly cheaper!! Do you have a feed store close by? I'd check with them and see if they carry it or if they could order it for you.

Kym

• connieconsumer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm in alpharetta, but will travel! I bought this at a feed store north of Cumming.

• ming001
    15 years ago

I found the coarse 4 cu ft bags at Hastings if you don't mind driving into town.

• jganyard
    15 years ago

Just bought 3 4cu ft bags at Backyard Feed & Seed in Smyrna today. They have about 7 or so left, but you may want to call ahead to make sure they're not "spoken for". If they are just let them know how many bags you need and they can usually get them in about a week. I paid $16.95 per bag, coarse grade.

• daves_girl
    15 years ago

This is where I got mine.
    JH Kinney & Sons
    175 Sycamore St
    Jefferson, GA 30549
    706-367-8379

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

The Homeport in Winder sells it as well. I think they have the fine in stock, but can order the others for you.

• smwester
    15 years ago

Kym,

I just bought some vermiculite at JH KInney and Son in Jefferson, GA today. After I got home I realized that I hadn't asked if it was coarse or medium vermiculite. This is my first year doing a SFG so I can't tell by just feeling the bag and I didn't want to open it in case I need to return it. It doesn't say anywhere on the bag. The printing on the bag says Palmetto Vermiculite Co. Inc. High Quality Aggregate Vermiculite. The bag is tan/brown with green under the black print. Is this the same kind that you bought and do you know if it is coarse or medium grade vermiculite? I guess I can call the store back tomorrow and see if they know, but I thought I'd run this by you as well.
    Thanks!

• connieconsumer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That is exactly what I bought and it is a fine particle size. I am returning my remaining bags.

• daves_girl
    15 years ago

smwester - this is what my bag looks like:

• jganyard
    15 years ago

The picture daves_girl posted is exactly what I got at the place in Smyrna too.

• smwester
    15 years ago

daves_girl

Thanks for posting a pic of your bag. I definitely did not get the same as my bag does not say coarse on it. I called the store and the person I talked to said it was not the coarse vermiculite that I purchased so I'll be taking that back asap. I did call another store in Duluth that is ordering some for me--unfortunately it will be $6.00 more a bag. That store must be getting a lot of calls for vermiculite too because the person who answered the phone there asked me what I was using coarse vermiculite for. He said that he has been getting a bunch of calls this year for it and was curious if there was a "club" or something in the area. With this economy I guess there are a lot more people gardening and using the SFG method!

• mistakemama
    12 years ago

I am new to this, so sorry I had a blank. I too bought the aggregate vermiculite and mixed it in my sq. foot garden mix. Can I use It for anything? Is it going to hurt my stuff? can I dump it in a traditional garden and till it it? what should I do?

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus