Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Added on to SFG!

Posted by keski 6, Rochester, NY (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 25, 10 at 8:18

Woo Hoo! DH added 48 additional sq. ft. to my previous 48 sq. ft. According to Mel, this should be enough for two people. I'm not sure how much of each crop I need to plant. Last year I planted one sq of peas and it didn't make enough to make more than one serving at a tiem, so I know I need at least two of peas and beans. How many tomato plants, peppers, broccoli? I'm thinking of 6-8 tomatoes and 6-10 peppers. I have at least 8 broccoli started under lights. Any advice?
Keski

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Added on to SFG!

Try looking here

http://gardening.about.com/od/vegetable1/a/How-Much-Plant.htm

There is a link at the bottom of the first page that takes you to a chart. The chart shows recommendations for each plant for a family of 4.

Obviously how much to plant depends on whether you are just wanting to eat fresh or if you want to preserve some of the vegetables.

When the chart says a 10' row, figure the plant spacing and that will tell you how many plants you need.

Example. The chart recommends 10' row of carrots. Typical "row" spacing for carrots is 2".

10 foot row = 120 inches
120 inches divided by 2" row spacing is 60 plants
60 plants divided by 16 per square in sfg spacing is 3.75 squres.

So for a family of 4, the recommendation for carrots is 3.75 squares (60 carrot plants).

I hope this makes sense and is helpful. Reading back over it reminds me of math story problems. I'm bored, maybe I'll take the chart and work an excel program to figure all the squares out. Hmmm, I may have to do that.

o

Wow Momstar! That is an awesome link. I actually asked a similar question on the vegetable forum and they really could only give me a estimate. This website helps a ton, especially once you showed how to do the math and convert is to "sq ft garden terms!" Thank you so much!

o

• Posted by keski 6, Rochester, NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 26, 10 at 10:06

Thanks, momstar. I went right to the site and got what I needed. BTW, I now teach students math in high school. You are so right about the word problems.
Keski

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here