Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ribbit32004

That straw

ribbit32004
15 years ago

I've kept the straw over the beds on nights/days it's been below freezing and it's been FANTASTIC! Everything under the straw is doing well whereas I lost some that was not under the straw.

New question: I had the straw down last night for the freezing temps today, but now it's pouring and we're expected to get snow and temps in the low 20's for a few days......do I leave the wet straw on and risk it freezing ON the plants and doing more damage or do I take it off and risk the plants that way?

Comments (28)

• ribbit32004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's pouring snow now...Can you say pouring snow? We don't get enough of it around here to know. For that matter, this is the first time I can remember that it's snowed during the day time where we could see it.

I almost got kicked out of the Publix grocery this afternoon for "inciting a riot" when I was walking down the bread isle saying, "White bread and milk! White bread and milk!" People can't take a joke around here. :)

I took some pictures and I'll try to post them later. The boy is having such a good time. I know the girl would love it too, but I'm loath to wake her up or will have an 800 pound gorilla on our hands. She'll see it soon enough.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Ribbit, thanks for the laugh! Why does it not surprise me that you would create a scene....white bread & milk, indeed. *snicker, snort*

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• jbest123
    15 years ago

Leave everything as it is until the front passes through. After it passes through remove the straw from the plants. If another front comes through put it back. We have to do this often up North several times.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

ribbit - all of my snow has been melted by the sun. Everything looks pretty good - but it's gonna get down to 19 degrees tonight....

EG

• ribbit32004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HOLY GOODNESS!!! LOOK AT IT OUT HERE! I can't believe it. I don't know what to do with myself. The flakes are larger than my eyes!!! I've never in my life got to build a snow man and today I built two and by the time I was done with the second, the tracks from the first had been covered over with snow. So much for a "light dusting!!" This is unbelieveable. I'd say we have a good 3-4 inches out there and it's still snowing with no sign of stopping.

The boy is having the time of his life in between crying that he's cold. He threw his first snow ball and it was amazing. The just turned 2 yr old girl keeps saying, "uh oh, a mess" and gets terrified when the boy lays down in it or God forbit puts some in his mouth.

I know I'm going on and on about this but it's just amazing to me. We don't even own gloves, people. This is almost unheard of. Sure we get the occasional dusting at night so it's like magic when you wake up, but seriously, it's been pouring snow without letting up since 12:00 PM.

I'm more excited than the kids. This is just ridiculous! That is, until the boy said the snow man looked like me because it had big hips. Not pleasing to hear when you're feeling good about yourself at 125 lbs, I assure you. When the neighbor decided to make it an anatomically correct female snowman, he said, "Never mind, Mommy. It looks like Kyle's mommy now.

Does that make me feel better or worse? :) I'll post pictures tonight.

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Good luck everyone.

We've got 50 degree weather, but I'm sitting outside in the wind freezing cold waiting overnight to get into a prime kindergarden. /sigh and brrr. The things we do for our kids.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

It's 80F and sunny here, expecting a record breaking high temperature of 88F tomorrow. Sorry you can't all be here, sitting on the front porch with me, waiting for Ribbit's snowmama pictures.

Hey John, c'mon over...you can bring your BM and we'll put poopy ice cubes in Mr. H's bourbon!

Granny

• jbest123
    15 years ago

Hey Granny, I am on my way, in spirit any way but I am sure as hell not going to rabbits or EGs though.;o)

John

• ribbit32004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's okay, John. I'll sit here and nurse my hurt feelings with my martini. :)

Snow's stopped. The boy's school system (same county in which we live) is closed tomorrow along with every other county in the area. Mine's still open which stinks because I've got to drive pig passes to get through the nasty counties into mine. My county doesn't close school for love or money. Here are some pics. Sorry they're not all really of SFG and don't belong here, but I'm just too excited.
    Here's the beds after one hour of sleet
    {{gwi:69464}}

Here's my first snowman!!! You can also see the huge oak trees in the back that shade out most of our yard. :(

And lastly, here are yon youngin's, fondly known as "the boy" and "the girl".

Stay warm!!

• ribbit32004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's okay, John. I'll sit here and nurse my hurt feelings with my martini. :)

Snow's stopped. The boy's school system (same county in which we live) is closed tomorrow along with every other county in the area. Mine's still open which stinks because I've got to drive pig passes to get through the nasty counties into mine. My county doesn't close school for love or money. Here are some pics. Sorry they're not all really of SFG and don't belong here, but I'm just too excited.
    Here's the beds after one hour of sleet
    {{gwi:69464}}

Here's my first snowman although it's hard to make out. You can also see the huge oak trees in the back that shade out most of our yard. :(

And lastly, here are yon youngin's, fondly known as "the boy" and "the girl". They both had to borrow snow boots and gloves from the neighbors, and yes, the girl has on her fleecy pajamas on over her jeans and sweatshirt. This was right before she began her chicken little -the sky is falling- freak out.

Stay warm!!

• ribbit32004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry, guys. I had this open in two browsers while I was messing around with the HTML and it looks like I posted it twice.

• daves_girl
    15 years ago

Ribbit-
    Your babies are beautiful!! I bet they had a blast. My 7yo dd has been in and out all day. My dryer has been working overtime! We got 7 inches (at least), and it is still snowing, although it has slowed considerably. There were flakes earlier that were 3 and 4 inches! I have never seen flakes that large. My dh is still waiting to hear about his school system too. All the surrounding counties school systems are closed. I'm wondering if yours is in the same county as his.
    Stay warm!!

Kym

• ribbit32004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Kym! I was wondering where you went off too.

It wouldn't surprise me if we're in the same county. Mine thinks its the best just because it's the largest...sound similar?

What that blasted system doesn't understand is that most of its teachers for the northern part of the county come from Walton, Barrow, Jackson and Hall counties. No, the streets may not be bad in Duluth, but they are out here. Speaking of...I heard 85 was shut down by your exit this afternoon b.c a tractor trailer slid to the median. Should have been interesting since they put that wire up. I wonder if it held.

• daves_girl
    15 years ago

I've still been here. 7yo has had pneumonia this past week, so I've put my nursing cap back on for a while. Still keeping up with all your posts (and learning).

I have only seen one accident where that stupid wire held. Every other time the cars flip and become tangled in it.

Yep... same system - I recognized the attitude ;-)

I'm still waiting to hear from my 19yo. His college baseball team was in TN for a tournament this weekend in 32 degree weather. They had to drive back after the blizzard started. They were going through Atlanta last I heard, and he said the roads were icy. Hoping to hear from him anytime now that they made it back to south GA without any problems...

• ribbit32004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WAAAYY to funny and small world like. Your turn to narrow it down. Elem, Middle, High?

Hope your boy gets home okay. My parents live on the perimeter and they said it's pretty rough out there. Sick little ones are never a good thing. Hope he feels better soon.

• daves_girl
    15 years ago

Elementary - Mill Creek cluster

He made it back to school safe and sound. Big relief after hearing about weather related accidents all day long.

She is feeling much better. Finished her antibiotics today.

• ribbit32004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Get out of town! Way too funny. We're close. Not THAT close, but across town close.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

LOL! That's like Connie & I...we found out we are in the same town!

Granny

• ribbit32004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, we're thawing out slowly. The roads just got relatively passable around noon.

The boxes are still covered and the broccoli sticking out is all leaning over and sad looking. The lettuce you can see is translucent. The onions, however, are laughing at the whole thing. We're going down below 30 for the next two nights. I'm now debating on whether to pull the wet straw off tonight (hopefully with it thawed) and throw some dry stuff on for the next few days. Leave it or change it out....any thoughts?

• jbest123
    15 years ago

I would leave it, the less activity in the garden, the better off it will be.

John

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

What the? ribbit, how many arms does that snowman have? It looks like it has 2 left arms...heh. Just for the fun of it, I'm gonna start calling you rabbit, also. Hee Hee

EG (who likes to build snowmen, then blast 'em with a shotgun)

Here is a link that might be useful: EG's Gardening Blog

• ribbit32004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

John, you're right. I'm going to leave it alone until Wednesday and until it dries out. That will make it easier to remove without pulling out the little seedlings. Things surprisingly look pretty good under there.

EG, leave him alone. :) It brightens my day. We have a sweet as can be administrator who has been pronouncing my name wrong for three years. I don't have the heart to tell him he's wrong.

It's my first snowman, EG. Cut me some slack. :) The snowman has whatever arms the boy says the snowman has. Today it started hunching over and leaning to the side a bit and the boy said it looked like a rapper saying, "Yo, yo, yo!"

Ribbit/Rabbit -- the one who would have run over the snowman with her F-250 if the man didn't take it to work instead of the motorcycle.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

HA!!! That's funny....

EG

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Too cute and funny! Love it, and the snowman! Well done.

• ribbit32004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I've screwed up now. I had brought the peas in pots inside for the night and put them outside again this morning on my way out. BIG MISTAKE. They're all dark, wilted and most likely dead. Even though they've been in and out before, I suppose the morning didn't heat up until around noon so they died from exposure...can plants die of exposure.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Oh well. At least they weren't more than a few inches high. I can replant them.

• daves_girl
    15 years ago

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to replant mine too. They were due to sprout any day and then Blizzard '09.

• joytosew
    15 years ago

Ok,
    I am missing the answer to the really big important question here....

Did you plant those as seeds or starter plants????
    the agony of waiting for the answer has me hanging by my poor little pea strings!!!!!!!!

• ribbit32004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The peas? They were from seed. They hadn't gotten far, but it was just sad to need to start over. Some are still green on the bottom, but most just a shriveled mess. I pregerminated some more and put them in the blank places yesterday.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH