Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lawncheney

OK to plant strawberries in other areas of the garden?

lawncheney
15 years ago

Last year (my first year) one of my two 4x4 SFG plots had one row of strawberries... the front row. The back row was all tomatoes. The center 4 squares had peppers, the other four were pole beans and peas.

My kids really enjoyed the strawberries and I want to do an entire 4x4 plot of strawberries. Conventional wisdom says that I should not plant where peppers and beans were planted... but has anyone done this with success? Should I transplant all my established strawberry plants to a new plot? I was going to build another plot or two this year, but thought about trying an 8x4 setup to better utilize my space, so I'd prefer to keep the strawberries isolated in the 4x4 plot.

Comments (5)

• rjinga
    15 years ago

This is something I found online when I was collecting info on growing strawberries. I did not know this before.

Not 100% sure of the source of this info

A final note on planting: don't plant strawberries in or near an area that is currently growing tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplants, or raspberries. These plants can harbor verticillium wilt, which can infect strawberry plants

• ck4b3d
    15 years ago

I know this is not SFG, but I plant my strawberries in metal hanging baskets lined with moss, they do outstanding. You can pack them in real tightly and easily put 12-18 plants in one 14" round basket. You could probably even do 24 in one basket if you planted them on the top too. I am planning on doing another basket this afternoon, if you're interested in a step by step how too I'll make a video and post it on you tube.

• lilion
    15 years ago

I'm interested! It sounds like you put the strawberries on the bottom, sticking thru the moss? I'd love to at least see a photo!

• lawncheney
    Original Author
    15 years ago

RE: A final note on planting: don't plant strawberries in or near an area that is currently growing tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplants, or raspberries. These plants can harbor verticillium wilt, which can infect strawberry plants...

That was what I found as well. My strawberries produced fairly well last year considering I planted them last spring... and they were in the same 4x4 plot as my tomatoes and peppers. The peppers bordered the strawberries.

I suppose I could remove the mix from that bed, put it in the new plots and replace with new mix, but I don't really want to do it if not necessary because of the work involved, the stress of transplanting my 1 year old plants, and the fact that nothing bad happened to that plot last year although they were in close proximity.

I just bought 50 roots today, so they're going somewhere! :)

• rjinga
    15 years ago

I constructed a strawberry pot using a 5 gallon bucket. I got a drill attachment (sorry, dont know what it's called, but it makes a 1 1/2 inch round hole. I would do this again using an inch diameter hole, FYI.

I drilled holes all around the bucket, including of course the bottom (but with a small drill bit there) for drainage.

As I filled the bucket with my mix *first just up to the first lower set of holes, I fed the roots inside, crowns outside and then patted them in, filled in more mix, etc.

I placed the holes randomly around the bucket. All said I had 18 holes on the sides and put 3 to 4 plants on top. The bucket handle is still there so I can hang it up if I want. I figured I would just get a plant stand and keep it elevated that way. It will sit on the ground, as the lowest holes are about 2 or 3 inches from the bottom end.

I considered using a pvc pipe down the center for better distribution of water, but it seems to be able to get water all over without it.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County